Thread: Radio Ear Piece opinions

Default Radio Ear Piece opinions

I need to replace my radio ear pcs and looking at either a custom or semi custom set. Any thoughts on the merits of either? Are the custom ones worth the cost & hassles of getting molds made?

The foam ones were a pain, impossible to clean, didn't do much for noise cancelling, hard to keep in the ear etc.

I'm sure someone here has an opinion.

Matt

Custom molded is the best money you will ever spend. Night and day.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I had ear molds done and bought custom in '93. Still working perfectly today and no racer tape residue on my ears.
    Regards,
    Chuck

I want custom molded units too. Who's got the best prices?

K

I bought a pair of the "semi-custom" ones in the early 90's, they look like the custom ones but are just a generic ear shape. They work great! I think I got them from Racing Radios back when I was doing the IMSA stuff. Now I deal with Shawn Sampson at Sampson Racing Communications.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

SpeedCom emailed me back saying to get impressions done at your local audiologist and expect to pay $20-$30 then SpeedCom will do the rest for $170 + $20 S&H.

Haven't looked much further than that.

For something significantly cheaper ($36):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

I've been running these for two years, never had them shift much less fall out and I don't use tape. As for noise reduction, I recently found I can pop them in and hook them up to the ipod while mowing the lawn, with the same volume I use normally. Oh and the wife to be really hates that I can't here a word she says when they are in. I may have to wear them more often around the house.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Bass Pro Shops have a moldable earplug that is the same as the custom $$$$ molded ones. Just take your foam phones, pull that little center piece out, and get some of that $19 molded earplug stuff and make a pair

-Tom
    who notes that might go past the "how much do you make vs how much time you spend on stuff" mantra
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Do the custom ones. I had mine done in '98 and they still work perfectly. I use them mowing and they look cool when you go to an Indycar race too. The inside of your ear does not change shape. So figure on at least 20 years of usage and divide that by the amount you are paying. Looking at it that way shows what a bargain they are compared to foam or semi-custom.

As for having the molds done it's easy. Have your spouse mix it up and squeeze it into your ear. Even my wuss brother allowed my wife to make molds for him. Simple.

db
    Last edited by spdmonkey; 07-29-2008 at 12:51 PM.

I also have heard great things about the custom plugs, I on the other hand use the foam, and i guess i just have ears where they stay in lol. they get dirty so I buy standard foam ear plugs, punch a hole in them and replace every once in a while.

The one thing about ear plugs that gets me is that I for some reason like to hear everything thats going on with the car especially tire squeal. for me personally having plugs that kill all the moise is almost like dampening my senses when im out there. Im one of those guys who tells my crew chief to keep quiet unless its essential and in qualifying i often opt to ditch the plugs all together. anyone else like that? and anyone know how much the cutom ones kill noise versus foam?

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Bass Pro Shops have a moldable earplug that is the same as the custom $$$$ molded ones. Just take your foam phones, pull that little center piece out, and get some of that $19 molded earplug stuff and make a pair

-Tom
    who notes that might go past the "how much do you make vs how much time you spend on stuff" mantra

Are you talking about the clear silicone swimmer's ear plug stuff?

K

I've done one that's similar to the Bass Pro Shops stuff, did that upgrade to my foam ones (which originally came from Shawn/Sampson Racing)... much improved, though I may yet try a re-work of the custom fitment, as one of the ears doesn't seal as well against noise as I'd like. It's just loose in my ear a little - lack of experience fitting, there.

It's basically the same stuff as making custom ear plugs for shooting, etc.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I'm talking about these http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037460227874a.shtml

$15

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

A little late to the party, but I've got the M series of these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/chmisearph.html

I figured the price was about the same as the race shops were charging, but they can serve double-duty with my iPod whenever I want. I did have to pick up a stereo --> mono adapter to use them with the in-car radios (which are all wired for mono sound). $5 or so at RadioShack.

They worked perfectly with my radio setup, as well as the not-my-radio setup in the enduro car.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region