Thread: Hardtop For ITA Miata?

Default Hardtop For ITA Miata?

Is a hard top mandatory for an ITA Miata? Or any IT(ITA, ITU) or SM? Thanks!

Simon

Nope. But note that convertible cars come under a different set of scrutiny for rollcage preparation; may negate the ability to install a hardtop in the future without significant rollcage mods... - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Nope. But note that convertible cars come under a different set of scrutiny for rollcage preparation; may negate the ability to install a hardtop in the future without significant rollcage mods... - GA
    And Miatas are a LOT slower without a hardtop. A lot.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Do you have to use a factory HT if you go w/ a hardtop? Could have sworn I've seen a Carbon Fiber top running in ITA once a few years back...
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

IT rules allow "aftermarket equivalent" parts. If you're gonna use a non-OEM Miata hardtop, better make damned sure it's 'equivalent' (I suggest a carbon fiber version will be lighter....)

Where are the rules for a open top IT car on roll cages? All I could find in the GCR was the same for all cars, except Prod classes for open cockpit cars. I'd like to eventually add a hardtop, just need the car legal for drivers school.

You should read the GCR but if I recall correctly you have to have your helmet two inches lower than the main hoop.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Better buy, beg or borrow a HT for the cage installation and the school. No hardtop= the 2" clearance rule for the helmet to the top of the rear hoop. The problem with that is that usually, Miata tops wont fit on a hoop w/ 2" of clearance, especially if you're over 5'8"
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Raycer View Post
    Better buy, beg or borrow a HT for the cage installation and the school.
    +1.

See GCR 9.4.B.1.b, where it describes the requirements for the main roll hoop. In a nutshell, an open-top car generally has to have a higher main roll hoop than an enclosed car. With the Miata, that would be too high to install a hardtop later. You're MUCH better off borrowing a hardtop now, having your car built that that and running the school with it, then parking the car until you can afford to buy your own hardtop (or, invite the borrower to all of your events, and you guys swap 'em out between session...<grin>)

GA

Ok thanks! Will look into getting a hardtop.

An affordable way, is to find a street Miata with the hardtop. There are a few here in the NW that sell in the $2,000 to $2,500 range. Then you have a parts car or you can pull the top and resell the car. I purchased a nice miata with the hardtop for $2,300, it did have a good soft top, and then resold the car for $2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    You should read the GCR but if I recall correctly you have to have your helmet two inches lower than the main hoop.
    I understand TR8's have the same problem with wind catcher cages!! Sorry Jeff, could not resist.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Hey, it's true and you fixed that problem for me. Thanks again on that, the new cage is awesome.

Simon, Bowie is spot on. Aero is a big issue for open cars about 100 mph. BIG issue.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'll witness that one... Jeff's car is a lot more aerodynamic and puts in faster lap times than it did before the hard top!

I feel your pain. I have a 1.6l Miata that I would consider building (if I could ever stop driving it), but the $1000 hard tops are an issue. There is a guy in ebay that sells fiberglass copy's for a lot less money.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Craigslist is your friend there. Expect to spend $1000 on average, although "deals" can be had in the $700 - $800 range. Miatanet is pricey because of the nature of the posters. Look at buying an entire car just for the top because although that may run twice or more as much, you can usually resell the car, sans top, and recoup most of your investment.

Also consider a Snugtop, if the aftermarket equivalent rule is effective here. Specifically not allowed in SM trim, it may be legal for IT. Rules nerds?
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    ...consider a Snugtop, if the aftermarket equivalent rule is effective here. Specifically not allowed in SM trim, it may be legal for IT. Rules nerds?
    Is it truly an aftermarket equivalent? While it's virtually impossible to have it EXACTLY the same as the factory top, is is functionally the same? Is it made of Fiberglas, does it have the same general contours (no aero advantage), and weighs the same (no CG advantage)?

If so, I'd say you're golden... - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Is it truly an aftermarket equivalent? While it's virtually impossible to have it EXACTLY the same as the factory top, is is functionally the same? Is it made of Fiberglas, does it have the same general contours (no aero advantage), and weighs the same (no CG advantage)?

If so, I'd say you're golden... - GA
    I would say it is defintely an aftermarket equivalent. I had a snugtop for a while for a street car, and comparing it to factory tops, the only difference I could find was the latches, which have to get removed anyway. Barring that, I personally couldn't find any differences, although I admit to not breaking out a tape measure and going to town on it.

Someone on one of the Pinata sites weighed one and it was actually heavier than a factory top by ~2-3lbs.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Some good info on this subject in the following post....

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=22777
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

^Good thread, thanks!