Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Region dues

Question Region dues

Hello Guys:

Just a few questions regarding Regional Dues

• Which SCCA region has the highest membership dues (15, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 etc)
    • If I belong to a specific region and would like to participate in an event that is at a different region, Do I have to pay that's region's dues?

Thanks,
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

You can goto any SCCA race and participate regardless of the region that is hosting the event without being a member of that specific region. In fact, you can join any region without even living near there.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave is right, you can belong to any region. I have heard of regions that make you be a member to get yearend trophies though. I think the highest dues I have heard of is $25. My region New England is $20.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I think the highest dues I have heard of is $25. My region New England is $20.
    According to the "Join SCCA" page on the SCCA website, region dues range from $0-$25. Of course, out here in San Francisco it's $25, the highest anywhere, just like gasoline. :-)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Thanks Guys:
    Well I guess if a region were to charge 150.00 that would be outrageous?
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

Quote Originally Posted by AE86ITA View Post
    Thanks Guys:
    Well I guess if a region were to charge 150.00 that would be outrageous?
    Just for the REGION'S dues? Yes, I would say that was beyond outrageous. Is there a region that is trying to charge you that much?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Just for the REGION'S dues? Yes, I would say that was beyond outrageous. Is there a region that is trying to charge you that much?
    o LORD here we go,Im lighting my torch right now

I pay $150 a year for regional dues, national dues, and racing license dues. Is that what you are talking about? If so, my REGIONAL dues are $25.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

And paying that hurts me quite a bit each year. Oh well.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    And paying that hurts me quite a bit each year. Oh well.
    agreed. i let it all lapse this year. even if i come back for one race, i'm not paying the region dues, or the nat'l dues if i can avoid it.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Default Regional Dues Help Pay The Racing Bill

Believe it or not most racing regions barely break even every year. Or they bounce from gain to loss but it washes out. Part of the revenue is regional dues, not much, but still a part. This is a big help to large or jumbo regions and a disadvantage to small regionals who are trying to grow into a racing region.

Anyone who thinks the entry fees and dues are too high should find another sport. For the most part if it could be done for less it would be. We try to put on a good show at the lowest cost to everyone involved.

If you are concerned, ask to see your region's P&L and balance sheets. IIRC, they are open for any member to review.
    Tom Sprecher

Anyone who thinks the entry fees and dues are too high should find another sport.
    Nice. Interesting how you automatically correlate all of this into people thinking regions are making large sums of money. You know what, I'm still disappointed at the costs of various entry fees but at the same time don't blame the regions - the tracks among many other expenses are most often the cause of this. Why not suggest people do something about it such as the NER is doing with the Palmer track? Other regions are also doing great things. I suppose we should send them packing instead.

If my current region were to start charging $150 for regional dues when the next highest was $25, you better believe I'd strongly consider calling another my home region.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Believe it or not most racing regions barely break even every year. Or they bounce from gain to loss but it washes out. Part of the revenue is regional dues, not much, but still a part. This is a big help to large or jumbo regions and a disadvantage to small regionals who are trying to grow into a racing region.

Anyone who thinks the entry fees and dues are too high should find another sport. For the most part if it could be done for less it would be. We try to put on a good show at the lowest cost to everyone involved.

If you are concerned, ask to see your region's P&L and balance sheets. IIRC, they are open for any member to review.
    could regions stand to do better by lowering the number of events?
    could they negotiate better contracts with the tracks?
    could they market themselves better?
    could they avoid thousands in expense by sending fewer to convention?
    could they save money by changing insurance companies on the solo trucks?
    etc etc.

saying that a bunch of volunteers are doing something as effeciently as possible in their spare time is um......."not accurate."
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

My regional dues are $20. About 5 gallons of gas. I can't even get to a the nearest racetrack without burning more gas than that. And I use twice that in tires at every Solo I go to.

You guys are being a bit race centric. Region dues have virtually nothing to do with the race (or solo or rally) program. No 300 member region is going to make a dent in the race budget by changing region dues.

The cost of putting on a race is a valid discussion, but don't confuse the question of regional dues by talking about race expense. It's high, we all know it.

Granted, you can argue that a small region shouldn't be putting on a race, especially if it is losing money doing it. In the old days a little region would make a healthy profit on its race and then use that money to support the rest of the regional program. But smart "business" from national in raising sanction fees and smart "business" from the tracks has squeezed that down to virtually nothing. Maybe it does make sense for the monster regions to suck up all the race dates. You see it happening already.

Region dues are generally used to cover the region member expenses. There are probably exceptions, especially in the big regions, but in the little regions membership dues don't even cover the cost of a member. Think about what it costs to send out a newsletter 10 times a year and you'll see how far $20 goes. I know in our region we lose money if a person joins and participates in no activites.

Granted, that little region might not need to send out a newsletter. But we tried that and participation suffered. You're not a region if you don't have communication and community. I'm a little new to road racing so I haven't lost my connection to the region yet. I still care about the Solo program and the Rallycross program.

Anyway, my point is that if your regional dues are too high, then you'll have to decide if the value you get from your region is enough. If it is not, then find another region with lower dues. If you feel like you are getting no value at all from your regional dues and you'd rather save that $20 then maybe you should look at who puts on the next race you attend. And think about whether they would be doing it if they weren't a part of a local region. And then decide if that's worth the cost of 4 beers or one table dance.

Wow, that came out a little stonger than I meant, but you get the idea.

jim
    Last edited by jumbojimbo; 07-22-2008 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added the table dance joke. :)

Jim, I don't think anyone is complaining about $20 or $25, but $150 would be tougher to swallow which was the original question.
    Dave Gran

Default What?

I'm sorry if I don't sugar coat my statements to make them more palatable to those who can’t stomach the truth but that’s just the way I am. I also grow tied of people reading something into my words and then trying to argue with me about what I wrote.

Case in point: how someone automatically correlated that in my statement of “Anyone who thinks the entry fees and dues are too high should find another sport” I automatically correlated that people are thinking regions are making large sums of money is read something into my words that I simply do not see and simply is not true.

It’s like this…

Racing is expensive. Either live with it or get involved with your region and try to find a way to make it cheaper. Actually, I defy you to do so. I know I have and the whole time thinking there has to be some gross mistakes being made by a motley crew of volunteers. This should be easy, right? Guess what? I was wrong! After sitting down and analyzing an annual budget that some small businesses would love to have I could not find anything worth changing. Nothing.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and make suggestions. Try stepping up and doing it yourself. Or at least make your suggestions useful with ideas on how to pay the bills.

Jim has a pretty good handle on what presents itself to racing regions. Some other suggestions have merit at first glance but lose much of it when you dig deeper.
    • If you reduce the number of events you reduce revenue and increase risk to maintaining solvency since race dates usually never come back.
    • Trying to negotiate better contracts with tracks sounds great but in reality there are so many other organizations that produce more revenue and can outspend you so you end up with what you have.
    • Better marketing might work but unless you have a lot of extra cash it ends up being a waste of that precious resource because the cost of it is exponentially proportional to its effectiveness.
    • I don’t know about other regions but we send our RE and one other person to the convention. Being a jumbo region I think we should at least do that.
    And finally, from my experience in most cases, saying that a bunch of paid employees doing something as efficiently as possible while at work is um......."not accurate."

With a bunch of volunteers you actually get infinitely much more than you paid them for.
    Tom Sprecher

ya know what i get real tired of?

people that think if you don't volunteer your time, that you don't have the right to say anything negative. that's a big smelly pantload. if you participate in region activities and pay your money, you have just as much right to bitch as anyone else. does your input carry less weight than someone who participates and volunteers? probably, but that doesn't mean you have to bend over and take it.

Travis
    -who has volunteered. who has made suggestions on how to improve. who has had his ideas shot down by the "old guard." who actually is a financial analyst overseeing billions of dollars in annual spend on a daily basis.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis you have every right to complain but those that do the work have the right to take it with a grain of salt. I belong to a region that has an annual budget of over $750,000 and we spend about $2000 a year to pay some of the expenses attendees to 3 conventions a years. Not much effect on entry fees or dues.
    The problem with those that complain that they are paying the bills and should receive more is the people doing the job are not putting a penny in their pocket.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    Does your input carry less weight than someone who participates and spends countless hours working for the benefit of those who don't, yet still bitch....
    Fixed that for ya.

That answer is yes in my book. I'm not saying that you should bend over and take it either. Instead of bitching, wouldn't it be more effective to offer viable solutions, in any form, aimed at rectifying any negative issues?

Look, I don't want to argue about this subject and am really tired of doing so. What I want to convey is that with any volunteer organization you get what you get. We could go to paid employees but what you pay to participate would at least triple if not more. That is not the answer but from my perspective we have managed with hard work and commitment to strive for a better racing product.

If that is not the case in your region, replace the "old guard". They may just thank you for it.
    Last edited by tom_sprecher; 07-22-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Duh, I forgot...
    Tom Sprecher

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com