Thread: What to do when it goes wrong....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What to do when it goes wrong....

So, down in the NE section, there's a tread about the events at the track. While that thread is about specific things, I thought a more general discussion might be in order.

So, what do you do when you screw up? Or, what do you think SHOULD be done.

Case in point, on an out lap in qualifying, I came up on a CRX with a gaggle of cars behind me. Typical deal, lots' of different speeds, and classes. Not wanting to slow others up mid corner, I eased out t move by him on the following straight. (Watkins Glen NASCAR straight returning from the boot section.) As I moved alongside, another car pulled out and began to pass me. Then ANOTHER Car made it 4 wide. By this point, I was even alongside the CRX, and the 4th guy startled the third guy who eased into me. We were close (4 WIDE!), and before I knew it, the steering wheel was wrenched from my hands hard right (the front of his front tire hit the back of mine, equaling instant one wheel braking), and I slammed into him, then bounced off him, and returned to hit the guardrail nice and hard. The car could move under it's own power so I dragged it off course to avoid the dreaded full course yellow/ probable end of session the Glen always does for any stopped car.

The impact was enough to break a couple of my ribs, and the FR susp. was all bent, requiring the help of half a dozen guys, a porta power and lots of new parts for me to race the next day.

But, before I even considered that, right after I convinced the ambulance that followed me to my paddock spot that there was nothing wrong with me, I went to find the CRX guy, and apologised profusely. At he time, I had no idea why it had happened, but regardless, his car was a mess. I offered to bring all my tools over, and help rebuild it, or to drive to stores getting whatever he needed. I offered cash. He was pissed, and thought I was a dolt. I think he tried to control himself, but it was clear he was steamed. He basically told me that I had wrecked his car, and that it would be best if I just went away. Fair enough.

As i walked back, a friend who was behind during the incident me showed me the video, (thanks the stars for video!!!!) and it was clear that the third car moved into me. We went over and showed the CRX guy, who watched, nodded, and then turned to me and said it still sucked, but he was pleased I had gone over initially. We shook and left to lick our respective wounds.

The third guy never approached either of us, had no real damage, and I was a bit irked.

I felt like a complete ass right after the incident, but once it's done, it's done, and all I could do was try to help fix it.

What's your standard on how you handle a screw up? How do you want someone to handle it if they screw your car up?

In my eyes, if you cause, or are partially responsible for an incident, you should:

-Seek the other guy out as soon as practical. If you can't, find a friend to get word to him somehow.

- If it's determined that you blew it, offer what you can to make it right. If it means you don't race the next day, then that's the way it goes. If you can't do anything labor-wise, find someone who can for you, or pay someone. Do whatever you can to make sure the guy races the next day.

- If the damage needs after event remediation, offer to help by calling in favors from your mechanic, bodyshop or whatever connections if it's convenient to the other guy.

Now, if it's a racing deal, and you are both agree that blame is shared, lick wounds, shake hands, and get back out there. In that case, I think it's good sportsmanship for whoever is hurt most to get assistance from the other.

In most cases, I think the mere fact that you made a sincere offer to help will mean more to the other guy than the actual help. In many cases the distance makes pitching in after the event impossible. But to me, it's better to go a bit overboard than it is to ignore the situation. This is of course, about club racing. Pro racing is a whole 'nuther deal!

What to others think?
    Last edited by lateapex911; 07-15-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com