Thread: What to do when it goes wrong....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What to do when it goes wrong....

So, down in the NE section, there's a tread about the events at the track. While that thread is about specific things, I thought a more general discussion might be in order.

So, what do you do when you screw up? Or, what do you think SHOULD be done.

Case in point, on an out lap in qualifying, I came up on a CRX with a gaggle of cars behind me. Typical deal, lots' of different speeds, and classes. Not wanting to slow others up mid corner, I eased out t move by him on the following straight. (Watkins Glen NASCAR straight returning from the boot section.) As I moved alongside, another car pulled out and began to pass me. Then ANOTHER Car made it 4 wide. By this point, I was even alongside the CRX, and the 4th guy startled the third guy who eased into me. We were close (4 WIDE!), and before I knew it, the steering wheel was wrenched from my hands hard right (the front of his front tire hit the back of mine, equaling instant one wheel braking), and I slammed into him, then bounced off him, and returned to hit the guardrail nice and hard. The car could move under it's own power so I dragged it off course to avoid the dreaded full course yellow/ probable end of session the Glen always does for any stopped car.

The impact was enough to break a couple of my ribs, and the FR susp. was all bent, requiring the help of half a dozen guys, a porta power and lots of new parts for me to race the next day.

But, before I even considered that, right after I convinced the ambulance that followed me to my paddock spot that there was nothing wrong with me, I went to find the CRX guy, and apologised profusely. At he time, I had no idea why it had happened, but regardless, his car was a mess. I offered to bring all my tools over, and help rebuild it, or to drive to stores getting whatever he needed. I offered cash. He was pissed, and thought I was a dolt. I think he tried to control himself, but it was clear he was steamed. He basically told me that I had wrecked his car, and that it would be best if I just went away. Fair enough.

As i walked back, a friend who was behind during the incident me showed me the video, (thanks the stars for video!!!!) and it was clear that the third car moved into me. We went over and showed the CRX guy, who watched, nodded, and then turned to me and said it still sucked, but he was pleased I had gone over initially. We shook and left to lick our respective wounds.

The third guy never approached either of us, had no real damage, and I was a bit irked.

I felt like a complete ass right after the incident, but once it's done, it's done, and all I could do was try to help fix it.

What's your standard on how you handle a screw up? How do you want someone to handle it if they screw your car up?

In my eyes, if you cause, or are partially responsible for an incident, you should:

-Seek the other guy out as soon as practical. If you can't, find a friend to get word to him somehow.

- If it's determined that you blew it, offer what you can to make it right. If it means you don't race the next day, then that's the way it goes. If you can't do anything labor-wise, find someone who can for you, or pay someone. Do whatever you can to make sure the guy races the next day.

- If the damage needs after event remediation, offer to help by calling in favors from your mechanic, bodyshop or whatever connections if it's convenient to the other guy.

Now, if it's a racing deal, and you are both agree that blame is shared, lick wounds, shake hands, and get back out there. In that case, I think it's good sportsmanship for whoever is hurt most to get assistance from the other.

In most cases, I think the mere fact that you made a sincere offer to help will mean more to the other guy than the actual help. In many cases the distance makes pitching in after the event impossible. But to me, it's better to go a bit overboard than it is to ignore the situation. This is of course, about club racing. Pro racing is a whole 'nuther deal!

What to others think?
    Last edited by lateapex911; 07-15-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

For me a discussion is priority one. Before I even take the suit off. It needs to be done immediately. If the guy's hot I'll deal with it. If I'm hot he'll deal with it.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    If I'm hot he'll deal with it.

R
    LOL. I've witnessed that! When i nudged you in the bumper up the hill I thought, "Well, this is either going to be just fine, or just NOT fine!"

That was a fun race.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I agree.
    For me a discussion is priority one. Before I even take the suit off. It needs to be done immediately. If the guy's hot I'll deal with it. If I'm hot he'll deal with it.

R
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

1st and most......calm down, a calm person will be mostly a rational person.
    2. make sure you get all the facts straight
    3. do not go over and stick your head in someones car and start screaming, you just my pull back a stump, and make sure it's the right person & car.
    4. approach the person and talk to them calmly. most rational people will talk it out rather than fight. offer to go over any video and talk to witnesses.
    If all of these don't work, remind them that payback just may be a medivac! ;~)

i've been in a few incidents. sometimes with friends, sometimes with people i couldn't pick out of a two person lineup.

the one time it was with a friend was my biggest wreck, and it was the last lap on sunday, for lead of the race. afterwards i asked if he was alright, and we helped each other load our cars on the trailer (it was sunday), and went home. even though i knew what happened, i didn't say anything, and he asked to see my video at a later time. afterwards he admitted fault, i told him not to worry, and that no matter whose fault it was i know it wasn't intentional or stupid move by either of us. that's racing. shit happens. we're still good friends to this day.

another time when it was my fault (first lap, we both continued with a minor wrinkle), i walked over immediately after the race was over and apologized. "i thought i could get it slowed down in time, but i guess i was wrong." the contact was minor enough he didn't care in the least, but said he appreciated me coming over on my own.

yet another time.......a guy was i felt blatantly blocking me all race. i had to start DFL that day, and couldn't make a pass stick on a VW with big power i normally outqualify by multiple seconds. i was pretty pissed about the blocking already, and then he turned down on me......at track out.....when i was on the inside. a left hand turn, we were tracking out, and i was on the left, and he turned in on me. that really set me off. i was so mad at the end of the race i knew it wouldn't be smart to go approach him even though i'd never met the guy. i walked straight to the stewards and filled out paper.

so yeah, if you're really that mad, and it's JUSTIFIED, it's probably best to just file a protest instead of a personal confrontation.
    Last edited by tnord; 07-15-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Travis you PO'd.........I can't imagine......

I have been on both sides, and it is best to calm down and then talk. Most of my contact has required I calm down and then go talk to the wall in such and such Turn!
    So far the wall has been at fault every time!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

here is what not to do:

trying to solve the problem by blowing up on a messageboard, the original poster is the dad of the driver that was hit

http://www.calclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2854

R
    That's right. Keep those Jack Handles away from Rob. Think we forgot?
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

I agree that as a driver at fault it is imperative to go through the full regimen you suggest.

I have been the 'hitter' because of a bonehead optimistic move and offered to da all of the above and pay for the new door the other car needed.

I have been hit and taken out in qualifying and had the other driver (who took out another car in the same move) tell the two of us to piss-off. We went to the stewards who promised to watch him. They did as he destroyed another car as well as his, in the race. I don't think he's been back since....

We all must take care of each other out there and be responsible for our actions when things go wrong.

DZ

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

What's your standard on how you handle a screw up? How do you want someone to handle it if they screw your car up?

In my eyes, if you cause, or are partially responsible for an incident, you should:

-Seek the other guy out as soon as practical. If you can't, find a friend to get word to him somehow.

- If it's determined that you blew it, offer what you can to make it right. If it means you don't race the next day, then that's the way it goes. If you can't do anything labor-wise, find someone who can for you, or pay someone. Do whatever you can to make sure the guy races the next day.

- If the damage needs after event remediation, offer to help by calling in favors from your mechanic, bodyshop or whatever connections if it's convenient to the other guy.

Now, if it's a racing deal, and you are both agree that blame is shared, lick wounds, shake hands, and get back out there. In that case, I think it's good sportsmanship for whoever is hurt most to get assistance from the other.

In most cases, I think the mere fact that you made a sincere offer to help will mean more to the other guy than the actual help. In many cases the distance makes pitching in after the event impossible. But to me, it's better to go a bit overboard than it is to ignore the situation. This is of course, about club racing. Pro racing is a whole 'nuther deal!

What to others think?

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

What to others think?
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but unless I did something so completely boneheaded and blatantly stupid that there was zero excuse for my actions, I would feel like it was a racing deal. I would certainly seek out the other driver and apologize to him, and try to offer some explanation for what happened, but let's face it, this IS auto racing, and shit DOES happen. Likewise, unless another driver did something that I felt was totally avoidable, or worse intentional I would never expect anything other than an apology and explanation from him. I would certainly not expect him to pay to repair my car. If his actions warranted it I might consider taking the cost out of his ass, and of course filing a protest would be in order; but I go into this sport with the full knowledge that on any given day I could be taking my car (and my ass) home in pieces, and accept that risk every time I go out on track.

Now, I have to qualify that answer by saying that I've only been involved in any serious contact once - well, twice actually - but they both occurred within one lap and were somewhat related, so I only count it as one , and so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but unless I did something so completely boneheaded and blatantly stupid that there was zero excuse for my actions, I would feel like it was a racing deal. I would certainly seek out the other driver and apologize to him, and try to offer some explanation for what happened, but let's face it, this IS auto racing, and shit DOES happen. Likewise, unless another driver did something that I felt was totally avoidable, or worse intentional I would never expect anything other than an apology and explanation from him. I would certainly not expect him to pay to repair my car. If his actions warranted it I might consider taking the cost out of his ass, and of course filing a protest would be in order; but I go into this sport with the full knowledge that on any given day I could be taking my car (and my ass) home in pieces, and accept that risk every time I go out on track.

Now, I have to qualify that answer by saying that I've only been involved in any serious contact once - well, twice actually - but they both occurred within one lap and were somewhat related, so I only count it as one , and so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from.

Oh shit!!! And I'll be racing with you at some point!!!????? I'll stay as far away as possible!!!

Last edited by JLawton; 07-16-2008 at 01:16 PM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Oh shit!!! And I'll be racing with you at some point!!!????? I'll stay as far away as possible!!!

Don't worry Jeff, I'm leaving the car at home this weekend - I'm just gonna stand at the end of pit lane and dare you guys to hit me - then point and laugh when you come in with the sheet metal wrinkled

Besides, you failed to pick up on the concept that I have yet to do anything boneheaded and blatantly stupid - well, at least in my opinion, which is the only one that really matters, right?

Unless of course you count letting Crazy Joe drive my car around Pocono...but I really didn't know any better at the time
    Last edited by erlrich; 07-16-2008 at 03:08 PM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Don't worry Jeff, I'm leaving the car at home this weekend - I'm just gonna stand at the end of pit lane and dare you guys to hit me - then point and laugh when you come in with the sheet metal wrinkled

Besides, you failed to pick up on the concept that I have yet to do anything boneheaded and blatantly stupid yet - well, at least in my opinion, which is the only one that really matters, right?

Unless of course you count letting Crazy Joe drive my car around Pocono...but I really didn't know any better at the time

Thank god my plastic doesn't wrinkle!! (driving a Saturn isn't always bad!!)

Make sure you come introduce yourself this weekend!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Besides, you failed to pick up on the concept that I have yet to do anything boneheaded and blatantly stupid - well, at least in my opinion, which is the only one that really matters, right?

Come on now that has to be the smartest thing you have ever done. I showed you at an early stage in your racing career WHAT NOT TO DO.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    Come on now that has to be the smartest thing you have ever done. I showed you at an early stage in your racing career WHAT NOT TO DO.
    I think I could have probably learned that just as well by watching your in-car videos though

But seriously, I will say I learned more about what my car was capable of in a few laps in the passenger seat than I would have in a few days of just being out there on my own, so in that sense all the terror was really worth it
    Last edited by erlrich; 07-17-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5