Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Improved Touring* 2002 Civic Si ?

Damn....Missed that line. Add that to the list. Thanks!

What is the thinking behind that?
    Kenneth Martin

Quote Originally Posted by KMartin View Post
    What is the thinking behind that?
    When IT was developed in the early 80's, ABS was non-existent. As new cars have been added in over the years, ABS was disallowed because it adds in a "performance advantage" that is not accounted for in the classification process.

Some day that may change - or maybe we'll do an "adder" if you've got ABS installed and working - but for now, out it goes... - GA

Makes sense...

Thanks!
    Kenneth Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Bare minimum would be:

Cage with door bars
    Roll Cage padding
    Seat with Harness
    Kill Switch wiring
    Steering lock removed
    Glass Moonroof replaced/skinned
    Airbags disabled
    ABS disabled
    Tow hooks front and rear
    Decals
    Transponder

I'm sure I'm missing some little stuff but that's all I can think of right off the cuff. For the price of the stuff above, you could buy a "ready to race" used car and sell your 02 Civic... net cost to you would be very little. This would leave $$ for the actual racing budget.

Christian
    What he said. Then you can concentrate on driver development, not car development.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

Evan Darling's selling a 100% ready to race ITA CRX, with current logbook, for $3000. I'm just saying.

It boggles my mind when n00bs want to build what's sitting in their driveway. Do you have an extra $20K laying around to put into a car that won't be faster than that $5K pre-built car you passed up and could've been racing two years ago? If so, go for it. Most of the guys you see building their own cars have probably already gone through one or two pre-bought one's before, can recite the GCR from memory, have all the tools and connections necessary to build one, know how to get the best "band for the buck" as they buy parts for their car, and are just anal retentive enough to know exactly the way they personally like everything in an IT car, and then demand to have it that way.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Bare minimum would be:

Cage with door bars
    Roll Cage padding
    Seat with Harness
    Kill Switch wiring
    Steering lock removed
    Airbags disabled
    ABS disabled
    Tow hooks front and rear
    Decals
    Transponder

I'm sure I'm missing some little stuff but that's all I can think of right off the cuff. For the price of the stuff above, you could buy a "ready to race" used car and sell your 02 Civic... net cost to you would be very little. This would leave $$ for the actual racing budget.

Christian
    I just can't seem to part with my 2002. So this is why i am considering turning it into a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Evan Darling's selling a 100% ready to race ITA CRX, with current logbook, for $3000. I'm just saying.

It boggles my mind when n00bs want to build what's sitting in their driveway. Do you have an extra $20K laying around to put into a car that won't be faster than that $5K pre-built car you passed up and could've been racing two years ago? If so, go for it. Most of the guys you see building their own cars have probably already gone through one or two pre-bought one's before, can recite the GCR from memory, have all the tools and connections necessary to build one, know how to get the best "band for the buck" as they buy parts for their car, and are just anal retentive enough to know exactly the way they personally like everything in an IT car, and then demand to have it that way.
    You have a good point. Right now i have a couple prebuilt cars that i have my eye set on. However i am thinking of all the possibilities that surround me. It wouldn't really cost all that much to get my car where it needs to be. Probably right around $7000 to get it there.

I would just love to race this car because i know the car so well.

Quote Originally Posted by 20CiviC02Si View Post
    I just can't seem to part with my 2002. So this is why i am considering turning it into a race car.
    Let me take a moment to tell you: You're Doing it WRONG.

You have a good point. Right now i have a couple prebuilt cars that i have my eye set on. However i am thinking of all the possibilities that surround me. It wouldn't really cost all that much to get my car where it needs to be. Probably right around $7000 to get it there.

Ok... so your current car is worth what? Maybe $6,000-7,500? Say you can "only" sell it for $5,000. Take your $5k and buy a ready to race car for $3k and have $2k for driver gear and then go race on your "budget" of $7k to develop the old car.

Obviously you can do whatever you want to do but developing/building a car just b/c you can't part with it isn't the brightest thing (then again, neither is racing).

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    It boggles my mind when n00bs want to build what's sitting in their driveway.
    +1.

Buy, don't build.

Let me rephrase: "I have a car that I really love. So, since I love it so much, I'm going to hack into it, removing most parts and cutting into others to install safety equipment. THEN I'm going to put it on the same track as Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - maybe, probably, BETWEEN Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - so that they can beat the shit out of each and every body panel for me. Oh, but they'll say 'I'm sorry'. Maybe."

It wouldn't really cost all that much to get my car where it needs to be. Probably right around $7000 to get it there.
    May I rephrase, again?

"I'm going to take a nice car worth roughly $10,000, add in $7,000 worth of modifications, and instantly make it worth - maybe - $4000-5000 in resale value as a race car. But only if I can find that special someone else that loves it as much as I do."

Which means, in all truthiness, you are completely unenlightened as to other possibilities there are out there.

For reference, a Honda CRX Si won (on the track) the last two years of National ITA Championships. You know, the same make/model car that you can buy right now for $3000...?

Hey, just sayin'....

Buy, don't build.

I built my street car. Lots of you said 'dont be dumb - go buy one'. I rustled with that for a long time. I decided to build. Despite already paying more for my underdeveloped car than I would have for a turnkey, I would do it again. The experience of building the car is well worth it to me. (plus I collected some pretty cool tools along the way!)
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    I built my street car. Lots of you said 'dont be dumb - go buy one'. I rustled with that for a long time. I decided to build. Despite already paying more for my underdeveloped car than I would have for a turnkey, I would do it again. The experience of building the car is well worth it to me. (plus I collected some pretty cool tools along the way!)
    That's how i see it if i decide to build. However if i purchase a car, then i'll have an expendable car that i didn't waste a ton of money on.

I see the experience of building a car that i love, and love to race as rewarding. Not the smartest road to take, i'll completely agree. But fun regardless. Either way i am not selling it!

Now i am looking to compete in 2010, so i have an entire year to put away the cash for driver development and a car. I can easily pull in $4000 a month take home if i hit the over time hard come January. So we'll see which road i take.

I've done both the buy and the build. I enjoyed both for different reasons. In the end, I was successful with both for about the same amount of money, one just cost me a whole bunch more time. Even if you buy a race ready, proven car there will be things that you will want to change.

In the end, my advice to you would be to NOT race a car you love. Never race a car that you can't afford to wad up in a ball and walk away from, both emotionally and financially. If Hondas are your thing, pick up a Honda on the cheap--one where the interior, suspension and brakes are shot and it leaks oil like mad. Don't pay for stuff you are going to have to replace or discard anyway. And don't make yourself sound "cool" when you are going to buy it. Use the bad interior, brakes, suspension and the exxon valdez impression as bargaining tools.

Have fun.

Thans, i appreciate the advice! There is a local that has an Si shell with cage already built for cheap. Problem is finding everything that is needed to make a complete car out of it.

Checkout this CRX:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=20447

Silly cheap.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Thanks for the link. If i had $3000 lying around right now i would buy it. Hopefully this car or one like it will be available by the time February rolls around.

Thanks for the link. If i had $3000 lying around right now i would buy it. Hopefully this car or one like it will be available by the time February rolls around.
    You could always sell the 02 Si and use the $$ to fund the racecar...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

You could always sell the 02 Si and use the $$ to fund the racecar...
    Like i said i don't want to sell my Si. If it were any other car i would, it's just something that is of great value to me.

Bare minimum would be:

Cage with door bars
    Roll Cage padding
    Seat with Harness
    Kill Switch wiring
    Steering lock removed
    Airbags disabled
    ABS disabled
    Tow hooks front and rear
    Decals
    Transponder

Christian
    I didn't see anyone else mention it, but how about a fire bottle or fire system?

I have not seen any posts that I would disagree with. I chose to build my first car, but only because it was the only option I had. On the other hand, it has been a great experience and satisfaction.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Like i said i don't want to sell my Si. If it were any other car i would, it's just something that is of great value to me.
    Well, build it, race it, but be prepared to walk away from it if (when) it gets balled up. 'cause that does happen (along with s**t):cool:
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'm going to put it on the same track as Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - maybe, probably, BETWEEN Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - so that they can beat the shit out of each and every body panel for me. Oh, but they'll say 'I'm sorry'. Maybe."
    Ehhh, doubtful.

Thanks for using my name, BTW.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX