Thread: *Improved Touring* 2002 Civic Si ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    It boggles my mind when n00bs want to build what's sitting in their driveway.
    +1.

Buy, don't build.

Quote Originally Posted by 20CiviC02Si View Post
    I just can't seem to part with my 2002. So this is why i am considering turning it into a race car.
    Let me rephrase: "I have a car that I really love. So, since I love it so much, I'm going to hack into it, removing most parts and cutting into others to install safety equipment. THEN I'm going to put it on the same track as Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - maybe, probably, BETWEEN Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - so that they can beat the shit out of each and every body panel for me. Oh, but they'll say 'I'm sorry'. Maybe."

Quote Originally Posted by 20CiviC02Si View Post
    It wouldn't really cost all that much to get my car where it needs to be. Probably right around $7000 to get it there.
    May I rephrase, again?

"I'm going to take a nice car worth roughly $10,000, add in $7,000 worth of modifications, and instantly make it worth - maybe - $4000-5000 in resale value as a race car. But only if I can find that special someone else that loves it as much as I do."

I would just love to race this car because i know the car so well.
    Which means, in all truthiness, you are completely unenlightened as to other possibilities there are out there.

For reference, a Honda CRX Si won (on the track) the last two years of National ITA Championships. You know, the same make/model car that you can buy right now for $3000...?

Hey, just sayin'....

Buy, don't build.

I built my street car. Lots of you said 'dont be dumb - go buy one'. I rustled with that for a long time. I decided to build. Despite already paying more for my underdeveloped car than I would have for a turnkey, I would do it again. The experience of building the car is well worth it to me. (plus I collected some pretty cool tools along the way!)
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    I built my street car. Lots of you said 'dont be dumb - go buy one'. I rustled with that for a long time. I decided to build. Despite already paying more for my underdeveloped car than I would have for a turnkey, I would do it again. The experience of building the car is well worth it to me. (plus I collected some pretty cool tools along the way!)
    That's how i see it if i decide to build. However if i purchase a car, then i'll have an expendable car that i didn't waste a ton of money on.

I see the experience of building a car that i love, and love to race as rewarding. Not the smartest road to take, i'll completely agree. But fun regardless. Either way i am not selling it!

Now i am looking to compete in 2010, so i have an entire year to put away the cash for driver development and a car. I can easily pull in $4000 a month take home if i hit the over time hard come January. So we'll see which road i take.

I've done both the buy and the build. I enjoyed both for different reasons. In the end, I was successful with both for about the same amount of money, one just cost me a whole bunch more time. Even if you buy a race ready, proven car there will be things that you will want to change.

In the end, my advice to you would be to NOT race a car you love. Never race a car that you can't afford to wad up in a ball and walk away from, both emotionally and financially. If Hondas are your thing, pick up a Honda on the cheap--one where the interior, suspension and brakes are shot and it leaks oil like mad. Don't pay for stuff you are going to have to replace or discard anyway. And don't make yourself sound "cool" when you are going to buy it. Use the bad interior, brakes, suspension and the exxon valdez impression as bargaining tools.

Have fun.

Thans, i appreciate the advice! There is a local that has an Si shell with cage already built for cheap. Problem is finding everything that is needed to make a complete car out of it.

Checkout this CRX:

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=20447

Silly cheap.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Thanks for the link. If i had $3000 lying around right now i would buy it. Hopefully this car or one like it will be available by the time February rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'm going to put it on the same track as Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - maybe, probably, BETWEEN Kevin Ruck and Joe DiMinno - so that they can beat the shit out of each and every body panel for me. Oh, but they'll say 'I'm sorry'. Maybe."
    Ehhh, doubtful.

Thanks for using my name, BTW.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Thanks for using my name, BTW.
    Juuuuust kiddin', champ; just kiddin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Juuuuust kiddin', champ; just kiddin'.
    j000 musta been keeding... no way a 2/3 scale Odyssey is going to be running between tKR and Crazy Joe! :eek:
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Just because i can't sell the car, doesn't mean i am going to be building it. I am unsure what i want to do at this moment. I would love to build a car, but it'd be better to just buy one.

I am saving up the bank to decide on what i want to do. Once i have the cash i'll be able to make the decision.