Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Improved Touring* 2002 Civic Si ?

Default *Improved Touring* 2002 Civic Si ?

Hey guys i am wondering if it's possible to compete in a 2002 Civic Si. I read up on the class and realized that this car is not listed in class? Is it ineligible for the class or have they just not classified it in a class. The 1999-2000 Si is classed in ITS and the Acura RSX-S is classed ITR. I figured that the 2002 Civic Si would be placed in ITS.

What were those things rated at? 170hp? Might be a very viable option for ITS. I imagine it's just never been considered for classification, so that's why you don't see it. Just need to ask the ITAC to look at it.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

15xhp and 140ft/lbs tq (the base model RSX had 160hp but it has a different IM

With suspension similiar the the NX200 aka "the egg" it would fit into ITA at a porky weight.

The motor is an 'economy vtec' motor similar the the 92-95 VX and 96-00 HX civics.

or this car is a tweener kinda of like the 2000 civic SI
    Last edited by jimmyc; 07-15-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Here is the 'napkin' math on a 160hp FWDer with struts using a 25% increase:

ITA: 2850
    ITS: 2480

Curb weight: 2744 (Edmunds) 160hp/132ft.lbs (Edmunds)
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

In the July fastrack the ’02/03 Civic Si got listed as a Showroom stock C class car @ 2500lbs. which surprises me since every road test I read has the car listed as 2744lb curb weight.

I also own an ’02 Si that I commute to work with, it sure doesn’t feel like it could be a ITS car

You will probably have to write in to ask for an improved touring classification, IMO ask for ITA

Yeah the car's curb weight is roughly 2744 with 160HP and 130TQ. I know it is categorized for Showroom Stock C class. I believe minimum weigh in SSC is 2700lbs.

Either way i would love to build the car for Improved Touring. I have a couple modifications that would have to be removed such as: lightened flywheel, and coil over suspension. Other than that the car is pretty much ready for IT. Just needs a cage, gauges, window net, kill switch, and a ton of weight removal.

So if i can get it classed in ITA or ITS i would be happy!

Does anyone have any sort of contact information in order to get the car classed? If so i would appreciate it if you could PM me or post it in here!

Thanks for the help!

Any SCCA member can submit a request to have an eligible car listed in IT by submitting a request and the necessary information on a "vehicle technical specification" sheet. More at...

http://www.scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=44

K

Ok, now that i have the info on getting the car introduced to either ITS or ITA (Whichever the board chooses to place it in.). I wouldn't mind having some info on how i should go about building it for Improved Touring.

As of right now i am working on a budget for either the 2009 or 2010 season. My main issue is finding a reasonable priced roll cage to have placed within the car. King Motorsports wants $2500 for a full 8 point cage with nascar door bars. Is this reasonable? Or should i get something like an autopower roll cage and find a shop to weld it in?

As for wheels i am looking into purchasing 8 Enkei RPF1 wheels, i may go panasport as well. Essentially whichever is lighter.

Which tires do you suggest? I am looking to have a set of dry and a set or rain.

2500$ sounds resonable to me. Don't skimp on the safety stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    2500$ sounds resonable to me. Don't skimp on the safety stuff.
    No intentions on skimping, i just have had King do work before and they like to charge a little extra just because they are King Motorsports.

lemme call a cage guy in Northern Illinois I know and get a price, that will give you a comparason

Quote Originally Posted by prodogdriver View Post
    lemme call a cage guy in Northern Illinois I know and get a price, that will give you a comparason
    Awesome! Thanks!

My cage guy said that $2500 was a fair price and that is about what he would charge also. King does very good work so I would suggest using them
    and if you ever sell the car a ‘King’ cage is a nice selling point also

Personally I would not concern yourself with making the car fast the first year, you want a reliable and consistent car to get you thru your driver’s schools and required races for your license. For tires you might like the Toyo RA-1, good wear, reasonably fast, inexpensive & get one set full tread to use as rains. The go fast tires are the Hoosier R6’s & Hoosier dedicated rain tires

Since I own an ’02 Si street car I’m looking forward to seeing this car ‘on track’ in the future, I make it up to Road America once a year

If you are near wisconsin, you ought to consider calling Dan Navrestad at DCA racing fabrication, LaCrosse Wi, 608 781 3929. I don't want to put words in his mouth but for about $2500, my guess is he would put a beautiful cage in, and a kerkey roadrace seat, install your gauges, bushings, your race suspension, and fabricate your exhaust. He's built 3 of my cars, with nothing but compliments on the fabrication and assembly work. He's built drag, Nascar late models, and IT, and vintage racers. Wonderful guy to work with and fabricator.

Another nice thing is we have John Severtson as a mechanic at conway Service here too. 608 782 7345. John used to work as a mechanic at realtime racing for PD Cunningham. He is presently looking after a TSX world challenge car, my Teg r enduro car, my ITS Sol VTEC, and a bunch of dirt racing hondas. He would be well qualified to rebuild the engine and trans and brakes id you want to outsource that work.

good luck

Also, Dan would be great at welding in upper camber/caster adjustable strut mounts if needed.

Thanks guys for all the help. However i went out to Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI for a 2 day track event. I think i am going to wait on going wheel to wheel. I really would like to, however i am only 22 and the budget just isn't there yet. I still may have a cage installed next year by king because they are just down the road from me. Just in case i decide to go for it! I think i'll just focus on doing a couple PDX Time Trials and a couple big Time Attack events for next year.

I really do appreicate all the help, and maybe i'll see you guys around at some of the regional or national events here in the Midwest. I'm not sure if i'll be going to The Run Offs but i am going to try my best to get off. Otherwise i'll be trying to get off Aug 8-10 for ALMS, World Challenge, MX5 Cup races at Road America!

If you think you'll be at these events feel free to drop me a line here!

Thanks Again! I'll be seeing you all around.

Well i may bring this idea back to the drawing board. I have realized that my EP3 has over 100k miles on the chassis and i have another DD that i can drive. So building the EP3 could become reality if i simply put my mind to it.

I understand that i should not concern myself with making it fast, and just safe and reliable. Now my question is this: "What is the minimum i would have to do to make my car qualify for ITA?"

I am currently waiting on the 09 GCR to come out for complete guidelines, and to ensure no changes have been made since.

Bare minimum would be:

Cage with door bars
    Roll Cage padding
    Seat with Harness
    Kill Switch wiring
    Steering lock removed
    Glass Moonroof replaced/skinned
    Airbags disabled
    ABS disabled
    Tow hooks front and rear
    Decals
    Transponder

I'm sure I'm missing some little stuff but that's all I can think of right off the cuff. For the price of the stuff above, you could buy a "ready to race" used car and sell your 02 Civic... net cost to you would be very little. This would leave $$ for the actual racing budget.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Why would you disable the ABS??
    Kenneth Martin

Quote Originally Posted by KMartin View Post
    Why would you disable the ABS??
    Because it's required by the Improved Touring regulations...?