Thread: Bringing back the 55 mph limit?? Read this!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Larry, equally a pleasure to hear from you.

Greg, I can’t add a thing to your reasoned (and factual) responses except to say “thanks” (and I may crib some of it for this same discussion on some other web haunts).

A few conclusions I’ve come to after reading and pondering all the responses to this topic here and on other forums:

-- there is always, always a trade-off, and in this case it’s between productivity (time) and resource consumption (fuel). Maybe it’s my capitalist wage slave bias, but I’ll take the productivity any time, hands down, whether it’s business or personal (I can pay a few more bucks, but I can never get my time back)
    -- in the aggregate, a return to 55 (or whatever) may or may not save gas (which in turn may or may not reduce pump prices)- as Greg notes, the variables are significant and mostly behavioral
    -- if you personally want to drive slower (and like our friend Larry can afford the extra time), no one is keeping you from that- it’s your choice
    -- however, those of us who choose the other side of that tradeoff (i.e. time) should also have the freedom to do so (without looking over our shoulder the whole way for zealous speed enforcement):026:
    -- lastly, participate in the democratic process (as bastardized as it may be)- do send a quick email to your Senators and Congressman to MAKE SURE they know what you think (in deference to Larry, either way). Pol's don't read forums (especially from racers), but most of the time they listen to constituents.

I think I'm already persona non-grata with our very own limo riding solon Senator Warner.....

Steve
    Last edited by Aged racer; 07-18-2008 at 09:37 PM.