Quote Originally Posted by Aged racer View Post
:026: Guys, don't know where this might fit, so I've picked this section. Writing to raise the alarm- a U.S Senator has brought up bringing back the old National 55 mph speed limit, in the name of "energy savings". Sadly, it's Virginia's own Senator John Warner, who yesterday asked the DoE to "evaluate" what the "conservation effects" might be.

Please, wasn't this nightmare discredited enough years ago? The productivity losses, the enforcement costs, just plain taking forever to do your business doing the week (or getting to the track on the weekend). The energy savings are likely dubious as well (Can we drill more? Now?)
Politicians have been known to set off alarms through the media to raise their profile when things are going "slow." This type of behavior benefits the press because more newspapers are sold, more news programs watched or listened to, etc.

I seriously doubt the American public would allow itself to be saddled with a return to 55mph, no matter how much sense a lower speed limit may make. Remember, a draft to help speed up the Iraq war makes serious sense to many in governmental circles, yet no one will dare implement one because the public will not stand for it.

You will know if this 55mph thing is a serious issue when it starts getting considerable attention and debate in media circles. Until then, I'd leave your friendly neighborhood senator or congressman to whatever it is he/she does best, which is probably not government!