Larry,

- The 55 mph speed limit did not save any fuel in this country. I've got stats from DoE to prove it. Fleet average fuel economy (number of total miles driven divided number of total gallons used) did improve from 1975 when CAFE was initially implemented, and was purely coincidental with the NMHSL (National Mandatory Highway Speed Limit). Proof is that after 1990 - when CAFE final number were implemented by law - fleet fuel economy leveled out. The NHMSL was repealed in 1995, and...there was no change of the fleet average fuel economy.

- Speed doesn't kill, and 55 doesn't save lives. We were lied to (surprise!) Fatality rate has decreased steadily and inexorably since standards were kept in 1949, and were completely and utterly unaffected by the implementation of the 55 NMHSL. Yes, I've got NHTSA stats to prove it.

- In fact, many, many studies have proven that 55 actually caused more accidents and was far less safe. Speed doesn't kill, speed VARIANCE kills. And with an artifically-low speed limit, we CREATE that speed variance.

Remember the IIHS bleating we would have 6,000 more deaths per year if we repealed 55 ("Carnage on the highway", I think they said)? Never happened. And, you can rest assured knowing there were HUNDREDS of studies commissioned by various insurance and government agencies to prove that repeal was bad, and none - none - to date came up with anything (YOU KNOW we would have heard about them if they did...)

Bottom line: 55 was great for governments hell-bent on control and ticket revenue, and for insurance company revenues in surcharges, but was a major PITA in this country, costing far more in hassles, expenses, and controversy. We can either encourage people to drive slower to save fuel (something the market does really, really well via "price") or we can go ahead and implement this proven-failed experiment yet again, making criminal a perfectly safe activity.

It's truly our call this time. - GA