Thread: #1&4 cylinder misfire

Default #1&4 cylinder misfire

I am having a misfire in cylinder 1&4. i have changed the coil and plug wires still nothing , any ideas???????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrooks View Post
    I am having a misfire in cylinder 1&4. i have changed the coil and plug wires still nothing , any ideas???????????????????????
    maybe like a model name and a year, that would help a bit

Sorry for that my brain must be misfireing too. 95 plymouth neon sohc

Need more info ???
    Last edited by m glassburner; 07-13-2008 at 07:38 AM.

it misfires at idle. I pulled plug wires to see what cylinders and when i pull 1&4 nothinh happens. it only stumbles when I pull 2&3

So, basicaly 1/2 the coil does not work. And you said you changed the coil.
    1. check that the new coil is aclually good. Get a voltmitter/amiter and probe the coil. it should be like 1&4/(+)/2&3 or combination of the 3. in short there has to be same resistence between a pair of connectors on the coil. Check the coil resistence too inside.
    2. if 1 checks out, you will have to trace the wires all way back to the ECU and cheking for continuety.
    3. if 2 checks out, check the connectors for dirt, oxydaxation, etc...
    4. if 3 check out then its the ECU

good luck.
    PS, did you get the exact same P/N coil as was originally?

I got the same coil in fact I took it off my running street car. i checked continuity between the engine harness and the coil and it all checked out. then i plugged the engine harness into the main harness and checked for continuity from the coil to the main plug to the pcm. There i found a couple of faults. so it looks like I will have replce the harness from the pcm to the firewall.

wouldn't just be A LOT easier to swap the coils around? then pull a plug wire to see which cylinder is dead?

I swaped the coils cyl 1&4 are dead I retested the harness and found no faults.

okey, lets take it a step at a time. Check that there is actually no spark in the coil. Can be done by plugging an exta spark plug into the wire and running the engine. Check cyl 1 and 2 that way. To be sure that the spark plug is operational.

On some coils there is +/-/signal, signal jumps between +/0/-
    the wires might be fine, but there might be no power going there. I do not have a manual to be sure. I google it a bit later.

Love solving problems like that

I tried the spark plug and still no luck. Thanks for the help

Problem fixed. I had an msd tach adapter,shift light and tach hooked up according to the directions, Well it was not letting the signal fire 1&4. Now it runs great. Now all I have to do is find someone whoe kb=knows how to wire up the tach and I'll be set.