Thread: Any hope in low speed corners?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any hope in low speed corners?

95 Neon, twincam, ground control camber plates, 600 frt 700 rear, Konis, 24mm front 21mm rear bars, Toyo 205/50 15 RA1s. I can beat the Civis Si's I race against, providing I get a decent start and can outdrag them to turn 1. Then, all I have to do is not make any mistakes for 20 minutes. The car progresses from slightly loose to slightly tight on a hot day, 20 minute sprint, and feels very nice, as quick as any of my competitors through third gear corners. Is there any hope of getting a 2650 lb 104" wheelbase Neon to rotate in slow turns like a 2250 lb Civic without making it suicide at high speed? Any and all suggestions welcome, other than building a new car.

Edit: I just looked around a bit- the Eibach rear is 19mm, but looks adjustable. The Addco rear is 7/8"- I think thats the Mopar perf unit I have on the other car.
    Last edited by Streetwise guy; 07-11-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Back off on the front spring rate to 500 or maybe 550, get rid of the Toyo's they last great but do not give you enough forward bite which lends the car to push slightly. I have been running the Kumho's and they really seam to work well on my neon although mine is a SOHC and at 2450lbs.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Default IF only

If I only had your problem!!
    I will be very interested in seeing replies to your thread.
    With no disrespect to you, I might suggest racing at Roebling Road,,there are NO slow corners there.
    My 22mm front bar negates any attempt to use 2nd gear, anywhere, as wheelspin leaves me sitting while everyone else goes merrily on down to the next corner.
    Just Sayin' thats all,
    CM
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

I might also suggest going to the Eibach rear sway bar, I have one but I am not sure the mm but it is much bigger then the stock 21mm. You can also play with your tire pressure. Check front to back tire pressure before and after the run. It sound like you might have good grip up front in the start and after your tires get really hot that is going away. Also what is you camber & toe settings. With Hoosiers I ran 2.5 degrees negative camber up front with 1/8" toe out on each side. Of course this can all depend on the track you are running.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion

Default camber?

Darryl,
    Do you run less neg camber with the Kumhos?
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by wcmcarlos View Post
    Darryl,
    Do you run less neg camber with the Kumhos?

Yes I have backed it off to 1.5 degees negative in the front and about 1 in the back. I was told the Kumho's do not like anything over 1.5 because they were designed to actually roll over on the corner for best performance.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion

Which Kumhos? A friend of mine has 710s on a fat Golf-93? and they seemed to hold up pretty well. He isn't as prepped suspension wise as I am, so I was quite a bit faster than him. I suppose moving to a 7' wheel with 225s might help maintain over a longer race, but I have a stack of the stock 6x 15" wheels, and a bucks a buck. I stuck my head under the car today and realized I have the suspension techniques 19mm rear bar on this one- the 21? 22?mm Mopar performance bar is on my ministock car. I may mount a search for an Eibach if its bigger. If you are interested, bring up Google Earth and search Race City Speedway in Calgary, and Gimli motorsports park north of Winnipeg. You will see my problem areas. Camber is a real compromise for me, because Race City is biased towards lefts, but the entry onto the straight is a 2nd gear right hander. I am having some wheelspin issues there, so more rf camber is kind of a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by wcmcarlos View Post
    ...I might suggest racing at Roebling Road,there are NO slow corners there....
    There are when I drive there.

(I got a million of 'em!)
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Keep the front springs, run less front bar.

What are your pressures (starting and hot)? Tire temps?

What bushings?

Alignment settings?

Driving style?

I would suggest against the 225 tire on a 6" wheel, or you will see an increase in handling issues...
    Last edited by ShelbyRacer; 07-16-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

yes...tire temps and pressures seem the culprit here

do you trailbrake? that will make it rotate in slow speed corners... just watch that brake release when you really bury the car into the corner :eek:

edit: o yea, and does it push on the way in or out of the slow corners or both?
    Last edited by CRallo; 07-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"