Thread: Stupid A1 Scirocco Questions

Default Stupid A1 Scirocco Questions

Here they are:

#1 Are front strut tubes side specific? If so, how do you tell? Took them off 2 years ago and am not sure which side they came off of (great grammar!).

#2 The forward bolt that holds the front A-arm on does not seem to thread all the way down (on either the right or left side). Should there be a gap between the chassis and the bolt head? Do I just need to add another washer or two or am I doing something wrong? As above, I don't remember what it was like when I disassembled it 2 years ago. Besides, the more I do on the car the less confidence I have in the previous owner.

That's all the stupid questions until I get back into the garage later this week and figure out what else I've forgotten.

Thanks

The strut tubes aren't side specific - the front a-arm bolt should tighten all the way in and they should have a good size washer on them. good luck

struts aren't side specific unless they have the little bracket that holds the brake hose in place only on one side (most always have it on both but since you said you are unsure of the previous owner they might have trimmed the other off to save an ounce)

as for the a arm bolt, usually just has a regular flat washer, off the top of my head I would guess 3mm thick. Did previous owner maybe have a brace between the two a arm points and put a longer bolt to compensate for the added thickness?

Sandro, you're a genius! I hadn't gotten to the point of putting the brace back on but you are absolutely correct. That is why I don't remember the gap.

As for the struts, there is only one tab for the brake hose. Should it be towards the front or back?

Thanks

Front.