my stomach fell to the ground when the steward told me you mentioned to the corner workers that there was a brake problem. i immediately went to the garage where they were keeping the car and popped the hood to check the master. the resevoir was still full...so i checked the brake pedal and it felt fine. the guy with me said he could hear the calipers clamping, and we used the brakes when we rolled it off my trailer into the garage. wierd.

the best mechanical explanation i can come up with is pad knockback. i've heard of it happening on somewhat rare occasion in miatas, particularly at Road America, when hitting the curbs hard enough and just right. something happens in there that causes the pad to force the piston back in the caliper, so that when you go to hit the pedal again, all that's happening is the piston is taking up the extra space between the pad and the rotor created by the knockback....and you don't have any brakes. given that T10 is just a quick stab at the brakes, it wouldn't take a whole lot of knockback to really F things up for the driver.

So, why are there not tires or some sort of soft barriers around all of HPT?
because the track owner is too stubborn/stupid to put them in.

I'm thankful to be okay and it's not like I can change the past, but I do wonder what shape myself and Travis' car would be in now if I had the same off into a tire wall.
you hit awfully hard. hard enough to knock an 8000lb concrete wall over. i don't think there's any question that the damage to you and the car would be considerably less if they had the same protection over there that they do on the outside of T9.