Thread: Heartland Park - ONE MORE TIME

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am pretty sure that Chris has labelled a place with yellow paint that could use some tires.....
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

yeah, tire walls/foam barriers are the most obvious thing that first came to mind. unfortunately, it appears ray just doesn't get it.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I spoke with the Race Chair today. As I suspected race day and race session decisions are made by the Operating Stewards. So the decision to throw the double yellow and then end the race prematurly was made at the operating steward level. Hind sight being 20-20 it could be argued that a Black Flag all might have offered a better chance of a restart for the race but then again it might not have. We are not aware of the information the stewards recieved from the accident scene. The extracation was not fast - the top had to be removed and the driver ifted out of the car.

Scheduling choices are hashed out by the Race Chair and KVRG officers. Final approval for the schedule and the supps is provided by the Exec Steward. Over all I think the schedule worked and the IT Group fit the Double National program well. The fact that the IT Group was well populated provided ample justification for offering it.

Perhaps if we had been the last group of the day we would have gotten our race in but then again perhaps not assuming the same on-track/off-track action. Also the intent of the schedule was to allow the IT drivers to get their single session in early and on the road home in a timely manner.

It is a shame it happened on so many levels. The driver was injured, the car was written off and it put an early end to a great race. Despite that however, it was a great weekend, in my opinion, and again I want to personally thank all of you for coming.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

the only issue i have scott is that it was early in the day, they weren't behind schedule, the weather was good, and it was right before lunch so there was an easy opportunity to recover the time. i think lengthening that session by 10min would've gone a long way to making the regional guys not feel like "second class citizens."

it's a few days later and i still don't know if i'll go back to that place without some tire walls.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    yeah, tire walls/foam barriers are the most obvious thing that first came to mind. unfortunately, it appears ray just doesn't get it.
    somebody needs to do something

I know drivers that will not run at that track... even if it means missing the runoffs!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"