Thread: Heater cores

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    How much does your header weigh? How about the exhaust? The muffler? (Mines 6 pounds, I think). The radiator..aluminum? Fuel cell and bracketry? Seat? gauge cluster out? (It's about 3 right there). Fasteners? All the gunk on the floor gone? Many people just skin over the sunroof opening. But they keep the heavy roof under it. The non sunroof roof has no triple thick gutters and such...it's lighter. Doors gutted? Cage safe but minimal? Hollow sway bars? Aluminum bits everywhere when appropriate? Wheels under 10 pounds each? useless bling items banished (tower strut is debated to be less than useful, for example, and I see many that are made with heavy gauge L or C channel, and they are in front of the strut. Great, lots of weight, up high, in front of the front axle!) And so on..........

There's 20 pounds in there I bet, if you haven't done some of it. I accept paypal to my email below!

Each item above has potential. Each one has tradeoffs. And I haven't done each of those...yet.

It can be done, and it has been done.
    Everything you mentioned except hollow roll bars has been done and I don't think those are worth 20lb by themselves. Funny, but that seems to be a list of several 3-5 pound modifications that add up to a meaningful amount. Hmmm, where have I heard that mentioned before as being important???

Your $500 can be found in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnel's porch. (In pennies)

Anyway, sorry to temporarily highjack the thread. This is about rules, rule changes etc. not about my inability to make minimum weight.

So what I think I'm hearing the rules makers say is that those that suggest rule changes don't always understand the unintended consequences of their suggestion, which is very true. I would also suggest to the rules makers to please minimize condescending treatment of the people making the suggestions because maybe you don't see the whole picture all the time either. For reference please see "Bizzaro World ITCS." as an example of treating people who are trying to make honest efforts to improve things as nothing more than idiots worthy of public ridicule.

So sometimes you have to ask the question, "What problem exists that this solves?" I can't think of a meaningful problem that exists with having the heater core in the car. So why try to solve a problem that doesn't exist? Especially if that change may lead to unforeseen problems. Remember, only hindsight is 20/20. Just because you can't think of any potential problems doesn't mean there aren't going to be some.
    Never underestimate a man that owns a Sawzall and a welder.

Quote Originally Posted by joeracerx95 View Post
    . I would also suggest to the rules makers to please minimize condescending treatment of the people making the suggestions because maybe you don't see the whole picture all the time either. For reference please see "Bizzaro World ITCS." as an example of treating people who are trying to make honest efforts to improve things as nothing more than idiots worthy of public ridicule.

I think Kirks intent, and I should probably leave it to him to explain it, but.....wasn't to publicly ridicule people for having honest suggestions, but more as a method of illustrating the slippery slope, and how easy it is to travel great distances down it in relatively small steps.

I also think he wouldn't mind showing the world the sometimes selfish requests that are received.....it's a reminder that personal interests are often at the core of, or at least involved in, many requests. That's not always a bad thing, but if the guy next to in grid you shows up with all lexan instead of glass, and it's a spec line allowance, you'll be less than pleased I bet. (actual request, IIRC)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Default No Mun, No Fun, Please Send Some

All in fun...

What wheels are under 10# and where can I get some? Oh, wait; I don't have the money for that. Now I guess I need to buy an aluminum fuel cell container. Damn, that takes money, too. Hollow swab bar, yeah...wait; wonder how much those are? More than I got I'm sure.

Everything else on his list I've done except the strut bar but that came from MazdaSpeed and didn't seem like it weighted much. I do have some gauges but I'm pretty sure that oil pressure and water temp is something good to know as long as it's before seeing smoke. Or at least I think I read that somewhere.

Get rid of bling...I could get rid of the cool helmet system I made but down here in the summer it can get pretty hot and I'd hate to cause a wreck due to heat exhaustion induced dizziness. Or die of heat stroke shortly there after, that is if the wreck didn't kill me. Hmmm...maybe I should keep that bling. I'm definitely leaving the Mr. T necklaces and the gangsta three finger ring at home on race weekend though.

I'm 6'2" and 195 and am still 60# over weight. I can't possible eat any more salad unless I just become a vegetarian and even still there's no way I'm getting down to 135. Unless I amputated a leg, but then how would I push the clutch? I'm pretty sure the GCR forbids automatics, or it should. Plus, it would suck if I cut off my leg and still wasn't at minimum weight. How would I weigh my leg? I mean before I cut off. This is starting to get complicated and desperate.

Crap. Looks like no mun, no fun.

Anybody got any money that is weighing them down and reducing their lap times that they would like to get rid of? I can help you, call me. Or, if you want to buy some bling, (except for the iced out hip hop ring), lemme know.
    Tom Sprecher

Tom, the wheels are used, and they've been a project, but they aren't made of gold. Hollow sway bars are common circle track items, as is the alum components that go with. My roto molded cel is feather weight...no need to get spendy there, and it was under $200 IIRC. And the stock gauges are removable...for free.

I hear what you're saying, but short of adding XX pounds to EVERY car across America that runs in ITA, there's no simple solution. I'm within 20 pounds, and theres 10 on me...but, I am positive that I'm not losing races because the car is 20 over.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com