Thread: Heater cores

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow, hasn't this thread taken on a life of it's own. To answer questions of my last post. 1. I-25 Speedway does not have a claim rule for the Hornet class. If anyone is interested in their rules they are on their web site. 2. When I had them NSUs ran in C Sedan and GT5. I am sure that everyone has a "Cars I wish I still had" list. The NSU would be at the top of my list.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. Is it my imagination, or are all the new cars being classified in I.T. going into ITA and above? In the MIDIV ITA is the strongest class. ITB is sort of holding its own and ITC has all but died. Perhaps some class specific rule changes could be considered? Just some more grist for the mill.

Oh.. you mean Cee-dan

I saw a buntch of those this weekend helping my friend with his Formula Continental. So, I wonder about that rule that basically says, AC can be removed in it's entirety. If the AC coil is integrated with the heater coil such that it's the same part, can you then remove the heater coil?? Do you have to perform coil surgury, or just leave it all in there?

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    So, I wonder about that rule that basically says, AC can be removed in it's entirety. If the AC coil is integrated with the heater coil such that it's the same part, can you then remove the heater coil?? Do you have to perform coil surgury, or just leave it all in there?
    I say you have to leave it there, but I'm a conservative rules reader.

But what cars are like that? I've never seen a car where the A/C evaporator and the heater core were the same part.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I say you have to leave it there, but I'm a conservative rules reader.

But what cars are like that? I've never seen a car where the A/C evaporator and the heater core were the same part.
    I didn't have a particular car in mind with that, it just seemed like a potential conflict. One where a case, maybe resonable people might disagree about, where the heater core could be chucked. I'll confess that's one thing I need, amoung many items, to truely be legel. But I might show up anyway just to keep the license current.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    In the MIDIV ITA is the strongest class. ITB is sort of holding its own and ITC has all but died. Perhaps some class specific rule changes could be considered? Just some more grist for the mill.
    Where is ITS or ITR? I know a bit off topic, but the forum needs a bit of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Where is ITS or ITR? I know a bit off topic, but the forum needs a bit of life.
    ITS is healthy and ITR is a growth class.

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    Wow, hasn't this thread taken on a life of it's own. To answer questions of my last post. 1. I-25 Speedway does not have a claim rule for the Hornet class. If anyone is interested in their rules they are on their web site. 2. When I had them NSUs ran in C Sedan and GT5. I am sure that everyone has a "Cars I wish I still had" list. The NSU would be at the top of my list.

Anyway back to the issue at hand. Is it my imagination, or are all the new cars being classified in I.T. going into ITA and above? In the MIDIV ITA is the strongest class. ITB is sort of holding its own and ITC has all but died. Perhaps some class specific rule changes could be considered? Just some more grist for the mill.
    So absent the claim rule, how effectively are the "you gotta be stock" rules actually applied? Is it one of those "Well, these springs were stock on SOMETHING, right?" kind of deals.?

We've had ongoing conversations and even mini-initiatives to try to list more cars in B and C but there's little consensus re: why the classes are shrinking. At some level, it's got to be because in general, performance levels of new cars are simply getting higher. Today's crapbox sedans outperform sports cars and "hot hatches" of the '80s.

K

I am sorry but, could someone explain to me what is a heater core? I am from PR
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

Quote Originally Posted by AE86ITA View Post
    I am sorry but, could someone explain to me what is a heater core? I am from PR
    In PR you probably don't use it much!

It's the small radiator that's under the dash. Hot coolant flows through it, and air blows over it to provide heat to the passenger compartment.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Why would someone want hot air into their cars, Isn't hot enough without it?

(Thanks Josh)
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546
    https://improvedtouring.coms/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12013&dateline=120412  5665

Quote Originally Posted by AE86ITA View Post
    Why would someone want hot air into their cars, Isn't hot enough without it?

(Thanks Josh)

Sounds like someone needs to take a trip to Fargo in December, eh? Jeez-Louise it's cold, too cold to snow even. I've spent a couple of winter months in Bismark, so I know this first hand....

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Thumbs up heater or hater

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post

Sounds like someone needs to take a trip to Fargo in December, eh? Jeez-Louise it's cold, too cold to snow even. I've spent a couple of winter months in Bismark, so I know this first hand....

James
    Thanks James:
    But been there done that, I was trying to make a point. We are now SCCA in PR and what sence would it make here south Florida, Texas or southern California to have a heater core in our cars?

Ok I grant you it is an item that could make an impact on comfort and on a rainy day but aside from that once it is full of coolant it could weight a few unwanted pounds.

Don't try to bring that point whenever you guys come down to race as everyone will laugh on your face.
    Efrain N Alers
    Nativo Performance
    787-635-9546