Thread: Heater cores

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think if you can get enough air movement then the windshield won't fog. I know several people that just have fans that blow across the windshield. I was wondering if actually using the heater core to heat up the air was any good. The A/C in my daily driver is out and it's pretty much useless to run the defrost fan without being able to kick-on the A/C to dry out the air so I was thinking using the heater core wouldn't help too much.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Warm air holds more water, so using the heater does help. Plus, if the windshield is warmer, less vapor will condense there in the first place. Cooling it before heating will pull some of the moisture out so it would work even better. As should be clear from this topic, cars had defrosters long before they had AC.

I have only been racing I.T. for 2 years but I ran circle track in Mini Stocks for about 15 years. Here is my take on all this. It really doesn't matter weather the heater is an asset or not. If you are racing a fairly new car that has everything in it, you are probably not faced with maintenance problems on the accessory items in the car. If however, you are racing a 25+ year old (fill in the blank), you are then forced to maintain nonessential systems that have absolutely nothing to do with performance. For example, Westmoreland Rabbits have plastic dashboards that break up, fuse boxes that go south, and wiring harnesses that are junk. I'd like to rip it all out and start over with only essential systems (including the heater).

For all those who say, go to production, I say that you are missing the point. Circle tracks run a class that is a whole lot stocker than I.T., it is called Hornets. The cars are dead stock, but they allow the entire interior to be gutted.

In my opinion, the modification rules have already gone to far. It is possible to spend a double butt load of money on legal suspension mods. Bottom line is, I would be against any rule change that would be performance inhancing but I sure would like to simplify the cars some.

Well said.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    ...Circle tracks run a class that is a whole lot stocker than I.T., it is called Hornets. The cars are dead stock, but they allow the entire interior to be gutted. ...
    What's the claim rule like at your circle track? Here's what we've got at our local venue (for the similar UCAR class):

3. This is a claimer class. there will be a $900.00 claim on any car that finishes in the top three positions.

4. You must finish in the top six to place a claim. You must place your claim before the top three finishers are done with tech. Your claim must be placed with the pit Stewart in cash and in writing. The track will also reserve the right to claim any car or part anytime - racing seats and personal gear will not be part of any claim.

5. Refusing a claim will result in that car being banned from Ona Speedway and the driver being banned for the remainder of the season.

That pretty much defines the level of preparation at the front.

I'll keep asking the question as long as people keep making their cases based on their belief that THEIR favorite changed doesn't "enhance performance" - Would you be willing to accept as the new reality, the ITAC accepting every proposed rule change that applied that rationale? If not, what's your bright line for deciding what is and what isn't allowed?

K

Kirk,
    I honor you and agree with your commitment to preventing us from heading for that slippery slope. I may have been a little fast with my agreement with the above. What struck me about nsuracer is the difference between someone prepping a 5 year old IT car and a 25 year old It car.
    For the newer car keeping it simple is having to make the least number of modifications to make a competitive race car. For the older cars it is about not having to waste considerable time and finances to maintain and replace parts and systems that really do not contribute to the car being raced.
    In order to evaluate a rule change request one need to appreciate both perspectives and the unintended consequences to both groups.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

...and I don't for one minute disagree that what you describe is a huge burden to someone building an old car. However, while I'm sympathetic, there's no practical way to address that problem without creating other problems.

I'm reminded that one of the best things about IT - that it's an actively multi-marque category where owners of different cars of different vintages can race one-another - is also the root of its biggest challenges. Remember that we also hear from owners of newly-eligible cars that they have problems that THEY would like to have the rules "fix" for them. Too many electronics, too much stuff, etc.

Since it's also a first principle that the IT rules apply to all eligible cars across the board, without make/model-specific allowances, this is a situation that we live with for the greater health of the category.

K

It is, actually, something of a rough trade off that I have to deal with a ratty 30 year old wiring harness, and on the flip side the guy with the newer car has to figure out how to make his car run without ABS sensors........
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8