Thread: New ECU rule and MAF

Default New ECU rule and MAF

So now that the ecu issue has been settled, is there any reason to take a look at our mass airflow meter rules? I had a new ecu installed on my second gen and my builder said that there was no longer a need for the very restrictive internals in my MAF. He said it robbed as much as 4 horsepower leaving the plasic internals in but i told him to leave it stock and unmodified.

Why do we still have to keep that stuff in? or did i miss something with the rules change?

Been debated at length. The ECU rule was not designed to allow other changes in the intake track to increase power. Yes, if your AFM or MAF limits power, you are stuck with it. I also believe this is the correct result.

The only changes allowed are to add sensors to allow an aftermarket ECU to work, but you can't remove the MAF or the AFM.

P.S.: The AFM on my upcoming EFI engine is a restriction as well and I am stuck with it, and I think that is a good thing from a rules standpoint. Bad for me, but good for the ruleset.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by rsx858 View Post
    So now that the ecu issue has been settled, is there any reason to take a look at our mass airflow meter rules?
    Why do we still have to keep that stuff in? or did i miss something with the rules change?
    Where do we stop?

Many cars have undersized MAFs. One example I can think of off hand is the 94-95 Mustang 5L cars - MAF is truly undersized and big power gains are made from upsizing it.

On some cars the throttle body is a restriction to air flow. Change that too?

The rules now say my carb bodies must remain stock but they inhibit airflow too. Can I port them? How much?

Should we write a rule that says "other than intake manifold all other intake components are free."?

I think the rules are well-done at the moment and MAFs and throttle bodies should remain as stock.

Your car was classified (had it's weight set) based on the MAF, and the assumption that the ECu would be maximized. It is the intent of the new rule to restrict any hp gains that weren't accommodated for originally, therefor the intake track remains stock as it was pre ECu rule mod.

Remember, the new ECu rule isn't really a new allowance, it's a modification of an existing rule, designed to try to even the playing field across makes and models.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by rsx858 View Post
    So now that the ecu issue has been settled, is there any reason to take a look at our mass airflow meter rules? I had a new ecu installed on my second gen and my builder said that there was no longer a need for the very restrictive internals in my MAF. He said it robbed as much as 4 horsepower leaving the plasic internals in but i told him to leave it stock and unmodified.

In our testing with the EP RX7 it is not the big restriction you might think. Gutting it does next to nothing. Just be sure your filter is not creating turbulance and you should be good. Most of the gains people see are from a better tune and you should get that with your new ECU.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

How do you avoid filter turbulence?

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    In our testing with the EP RX7 it is not the big restriction you might think. Gutting it does next to nothing. Just be sure your filter is not creating turbulance and you should be good. Most of the gains people see are from a better tune and you should get that with your new ECU.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8