Thread: Top Gear America?

Default Top Gear America?

Why does this sound like a bad idea to me?

Wanna be the new Stig?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4270253.html?page=1

DZ

I thought NBC had killed the idea already.
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

While it sounds like a great idea to kill (how many great BBC shows has US television butchered?) it seems it might be real.

from the the Top Gear site

une 16, 2008 Team America

California, free refills and Megan Fox are no longer the only good things about America.
    Because now, America has its own Top Gear telly show.
    Well, they're getting a pilot for a US version of the show at least.
    And even though you will have no idea who any of them are, they've just announced their presenters...
    First up there's Adam Carolla, who has a whole host of superlatives associated with his name, like 'comedian', 'radio personality', 'television presenter' and 'actor'.
    He's best known over there for his radio programme The Adam Carolla Show, yet over here you might have seen him in Crank Yankers, the TV show he produced and starred in that features real crank calls by celebrity guests which are then re-enacted on screen by puppets.
    Most importantly however, he owns two classic Lambos, Maseratis, Ferraris and an Audi S4. Which is a better qualification than anything.
    Then there's Tanner Foust - how good is that name?? - who's a high demand stunt guy, having driven in The Bourne Ultimatum, that Fast And The Furious set in Japan and, er, The Dukes Of Hazzard.
    He's also won a load of different things for rallying, drifting, ice racing and time attack. But all you really need to know is this, and that he drives a 'tricked-out' M3.
    Bringing up the rear is Eric Stromer, who's an American DIY legend (??) - think Handy Andy with blonde hair and a guitar - who's also a regular on Carolla's radio show, advising listeners on their construction concerns.
    And he drives a Toyota Camry hybrid... ahem.
    It seems no one's told Clarkson that though, 'cos he's quite happy about it all: "This is fantastic news - but how on earth you lot are going to do it on the wrong side of the road I've no idea."

Now, I have heard of Adam Carolla (can't say I could pick him out of a lineup though) but the other 2 are unknown to me. Which may be a good thing if they have any relevant car knowledge (or irreverent knowledge of any sort). But an American DIY legend (??), a radio guy and a drifter, well.... But if I can suffer through 1 episode of 101 cars you must drive, I can probably handle the pilot for this.

But my guess is that my demographics are not included in their target audience anyway.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

I knew I remembered seeing it somewhere:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/15/n...-gear-for-now/
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

I can't imagine Top Gear being duplicated here in the US. The chemistry between Jeremy, Richard, and James is the key to the show and I can't imagine any three US actors (or actor wannabees) working so well together.

Remember how bad the US version of Junkyard Wars was compared to the British version?

Adam is a funny dude. LOVED LOVED LOVED his home fix up show. He's a spontaneous guy though, so he can be up and down, unlike Clarkson and crew, who are all scripted.

I understand the BBC is doing the production and that's a good thing.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

why not just broadcast the original version over here, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    why not just broadcast the original version over here, works for me.
    The original is on BBC America
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pgipson View Post

Looks like I will be making a phone call to the cable company in the morning :026:

well..............it's sorta on BBC America....but, they hack a lot out of it to fit the American format. 45 minutes of actual show in an hour, when the original is 58 minutes or so.

I watch it on a bitorrent downlaod, and see the whole show.

That took some work to set up...it's not like going to youtube and clicking play, but the quality is MUCH better than youtube, and you get the entire show as opposed to 6 chapters, half of which get removed the first day.

I have BBC2 on Directv, and it works as a second choice, but, the shows are much delayed from their original broadcast dates in Europe.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by pgipson View Post
    +1

Love the real thing. The first thing that comes to mind when I saw this is New Coke. Doomed to failure.

Is there a "Yawn" smilie somewhere?
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown