Thread: First SCCA Race at NJMP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Humphrey View Post
    I was at a local race parts store here in Warminster, PA(A-1 Racing) buying new roll bar padding and the guy working informed me that they have a new law in NJ requiring the use of the SFI rated high density padding for all race cars racing in NJ.

Can anyone confirm this?
    The regulations governing motor vehicle racing in New Jersey is covered under New Jersey Administrative Code (NJAC) Title 13 (Law and Public Safety) Chapter 62 (Motor Vehicle Race Track Rules) and can be found at: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/racing_regulations.pdf. I am not aware of any recent rule updates.

Road racing is covered under Subchapter 3 (Safety Requirements for Vehicles and Personnel: Road Racing and High Performance Driving Schools). Each type of racing (oval, drag racing, etc.) has its own subchapter.

After a quick glance through the rule, I could not find any reference to a requirement for SFI rollbar padding. Of course this is unofficial, and every driver is responsible for meeting the requirements of the rule (official disclaimer). I strongly suggest/urge everyone look through the rules since they apply to all. A section of the rule to remember is:

§ 13:62-3.9 Inspection of vehicles
    (a) Vehicles participating in an event by a sanctioning
    organization must meet all technical guidelines set forth by
    that organization.
    (b) Any vehicles to be used in a race or other type of
    driving event are subject to unannounced inspection and approval
    at any time, for compliance with this chapter, by the
    Superintendent or designee.

This requirement is mentioned in the Supps in item 16, which of course everyone reads before the race.
    Last edited by wdether; 07-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech