Thread: First SCCA Race at NJMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    - Using DLBRacing instead of the registration system that the rest of the division uses;
    At least two Regions assigned to NEDIV do not use the NESCCA website.
    There is a link on the hosting Region's website.

- Requiring payment *in advance*; with
    - a $30 cancellation (uh, sorry, "administration") fee.
    Neither of which is out of the ordinary and SOP for the events I've entered, both in NEDIV and SEDIV. A quick check of the supps posted on the NESCCA site indicates that many regions require prepayment and hold funds for cancellation AND some do not promise ANY refund for withdrawals.

- A track with a $250 test day fee if paid in advance by yesterday or $350 afterwards and zero refund if canceled within a week???
    Summit Point is $225 and its a dump. Nelson is $150 and it's what's produced when you dump. Brand new track, smooth paving, good facilities - yep, that shouldn't be more than what Summit charges. The zero refund is harsh, but the answer is easy - cancel before the week comes.

Just one question: does NJMP and South Jersey Region realize that the economy's heading for the sh**er, energy prices are approaching double what they were a year ago, and now's REALLY not the best time to be asking for a lot more money and inconvenience from the racers?
    What inconvenience? What extra money? It's a brand new facility that, based on VIR, will put EVERY track in NEDIV to shame. You get what you pay for and even then they overcharge you. Racing at Summit is less expensive, but the pavement is crap and the facilities, even when brand new, looked old and worn.

What control does SJR have over the fee it needs to charge to rent the track? SJR isn't a racing region. I'm betting dollars to donuts that the Region needs to cash the checks and process the credit cards to keep its track rental check from entering orbit from the bounce.

In short, I think you need to have some cheddar to go with the zinfindel.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    In short, I think you need to have some cheddar to go with the zinfindel.
    JJ, as always you don't what the *** you speak.

- I've never had to use DLB to sign up for a race in NEDiv before. Ever. And I've race here since 1992. The *only* times I've ever used DLB was for the ARRC and ITFest (in case you're unaware, they're in Atlanta and Ohio, respectively). That's in 24 total years of racing.

- Only ONCE in racing up in NEDiv have I been required to pre-pay for a race. Once. And it was 3 years ago. NNJR Region, as I recall, and it may have been one of the NARRCoffs. All other regions in NEDiv (that, BTW, use the NESCCA system) allow you to select a little radio button that says "Pay at the track". Which, BTW, results in no cancellation fee.

- Registrars that I spoke to PREFER it that way: it encourages drivers to enter in advance (because cancellation is easier with less hassle), thus reducing their workload, and they don't have to spend a lot of time processing cancellations and refunds. And, it futher reduces their workload because it discourages late entries. Did I say this also reduces their workload (which is "more convenient", and not a bad idea for volunteers)?

- NHMS's test fee is $150. For a full day of track test time. And you don't have to pay until you show up. With a check. And, if you break in the AM session they'll give you a refund for the PM session (without a cancellation fee). Lime Rock is $225. Also not in advance, and also without a cancellation fee.

In short, I think you need to keep quiet (or get off the Internet and to a race track more often). - GA

P.S., Don't expect me to get into one of your classic point-by-point-by-point-by-point, ad nausea, tit-for-tat, Furious Typer Internet forum arguments. You're wrong. And I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to out-type you.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 07-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Whine about doing something different for registration
    DC Region has never used NESCCA. If you pay by CC, it gets processed immediately and automatically. You cancel? You get a refund. You don't show up at the track and haven't cancelled? You loose $50. Paying by check? If you don't want a late fee or your registration cancelled, you have to pay within 5 days of entering.

Some Glen area regions keep a processing fee too.

MHV didn't even promise to give a refund for its National.

whining about the test fee
    BFD. You break at Summit, chances are you get squat unless they are in a good mood and you ask. Lime Rock is $25 freaking dollars less expensive! NHIS is less because it's at the end of the world. NJMP is within a early AM drive of DC, Bal, Philly, NYC.

In short, I think you
    ...are whining because someone doesn't do it like NER.

Easy guys - it's the first race there. Let's do the event and then constructively summarize what we can do better next time. Lot's of stuff will not go smoothly and there will be options to improve how we do things - but bitching now isn't helping to create a positive perception of the track or attendence.

SJR hasn't had a track to run events on - we should pile on the help like never before. Not "pile on". Making criticism is easy...making it constructive is what matters.

I'll bring an extra case of Heineken and hand out cold ones to people who had a bad day. I bet I still have a full case on Sunday night :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I agree Ben, these guys got worked up fast.
    Regions do have to realize they are in a competitive environment. I understand that SNJR is a start up as a racing region and maybe the risk is too high to allow people to pay at the gate but every time you add a rule that makes it more of an inconvenience for the customer it is a little less reason for the customer to support you.
    WDC has had a bit of a captive audience and has been able to get away with rules that I have always felt were a little onerous and maybe a little silly. If NJMP takes off that may hurt WDC’s entries.
    The fact of the matter is there are lots of races available in July. Why would any sponsoring club want to make it harder for the customer than it has to be?
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7