Thread: Indy Region Leaps Laps Restricted Regional July 5

Default Indy Region Leaps Laps Restricted Regional July 5

The Indianapolis Region of the Sports Car Club of America would like to invite you to attend the 43rd running of the Indy Grand Prix National Races on July 5th and 6th at O'Reilly Raceway Park (formerly Indianapolis Raceway Park).

$25 Late Entry Fee has been WAIVED.
    Come one, come all!

In addition to the full National weekend schedule, we will also be running a 1 hour restricted regional race on Saturday called the Leap Laps Extra Enduro: http://www.indyscca.org/RaceFiles/entries/2008/Enduro%20Poster.pdf
    and
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=3465
    This event will be open to cars in the following classes: ITE, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, ITR, SSB, SSC, SM, SP, SPU, EP, FP, GH, HP, GTL, BP, DP, T2, T3 (non-GCR class rules per Great Lakes Division Regional Series rules). The race will be 60 minutes in length. Driver changes will be permitted. Co-drivers do not incur an additional entry fee, but must meet all license requirements and Supplemental Regulation III-10 (must have 5 laps practice or qualifying) and must be registered as a co-driver.

Information including entry forms, supps, on-line registrations for the National Race can be found at:
    http://www.indyscca.org/RaceFiles/2008RaceSchedule.htm
    and
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=3461

More general info along with a list of hotels offering discounts in the area are available in our July 2008 edition of Clutch Chatter which is available at http://www.indyscca.org/newsletter.html
    and
    http://www.indyscca.org/newsletter/2008/0807CCJuly.pdf

Saturday night will again feature our big cookout for everyone and will include our signature fresh off the stalk grilled corn on the cob!

Any questions, feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing you!

Steve Linn - Regional Executive
    Pete and Wendy Hylton - Race Chairs
    Last edited by Racerlinn; 06-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

For those too lazy to click, that is an hour and 40 minutes (1:40) of track time for just $190. And it is all on one day.

jim

40 minute qual session is considered Group 8 and will be the last session after the morning National practice sessions. The 1 hour enduro is the last session of Saturday afternoon, after all of the National qual sessions.
    Easy in, easy out!

I agree, this is a great price for the amount of track time that you will get and it 's nice to have it all in one day! I am 90% sure I will be there.

Does anyone have a good feeling for gas mileage during race conditions? I have heard a few people state numbers around 6 mpg....It would be really nice to be able to finish the race without a fuel stop.
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

Russell, I really think it's car dependant. I've gotten 7-8 mpg before (when I actually paid attention to it once). I'll be starting with a full tank.

$25 Late Entry Fee has been WAIVED.
    Come one, come all!

Steve,
    Any word from IRP about the open track session on Friday? Hours and $$? Thanks.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    Steve,
    I think that it will be the standard $75 half day, $150 full day rate. Have not heard back, I'll let you know when I do.

Steve,

I'm coming from Dayton, Oh on Saturday morning. Looking at the schedule it appears I'd need to be on track at about 10:30am?

Is that a safe bet? They wouldn't do something crazy like combine a couple of groups and move things up by 45 minutes, would they?

thanks

jim

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    Steve,

I'm coming from Dayton, Oh on Saturday morning. Looking at the schedule it appears I'd need to be on track at about 10:30am?

Is that a safe bet? They wouldn't do something crazy like combine a couple of groups and move things up by 45 minutes, would they?

thanks

jim

Jim, I'd say 10:30 at the absolute latest if your car is ready to roll of the trailer and race. The schedule will run as set for the Saturday morning sessions.
    Possible group combinations would occur Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Racerlinn View Post
    Jim, I'd say 10:30 at the absolute latest if your car is ready to roll of the trailer and race. The schedule will run as set for the Saturday morning sessions.
    Possible group combinations would occur Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
    Sweet. So I can go to the figure 8 school bus races, still get a decent night's sleep and leave on Saturday morning.

I made it official today and signed up. Looks like 13 online entires for the enduro, anyone have an idea on total entries?
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

Damn, six ITA cars signed up. Not too shabby. I really have no reason to go to this, but it's intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by GT240sx View Post
    I made it official today and signed up. Looks like 13 online entires for the enduro, anyone have an idea on total entries?
    Russel - here's the page for the national races:
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...x?EventID=3461
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    Steve,

Just spoke with the track - open test day tomorrow is still a GO!!

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Damn, six ITA cars signed up. Not too shabby. I really have no reason to go to this, but it's intriguing.

Russel - here's the page for the national races:
    http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubd...x?EventID=3461

I'll expect we have a few more walkups on Saturday morning.

Default Indy Leaps Enduro

All sessions for the Enduro and National have been posted to Mylaps. Search through Neohio and find - they are separate events.

Quote Originally Posted by datadude View Post
    All sessions for the Enduro and National have been posted to Mylaps. Search through Neohio and find - they are separate events.

Thanks Con!!

What the hell, Steve? No 1:51.3's in ya last weekend, or what?

So who's Csaba Szekelyhidi and what's he drive? Looks like you guys had a hell of a battle, but it also looks like you may have had an off course excursion or two.

Looks like Russell couldn't quite make it on one tank.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Russell had a great time out there until his fuel pressure decided to go south of 20psi regardless of the tank level....

All in all, that was a great event and a lot of fun!!
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    What the hell, Steve? No 1:51.3's in ya last weekend, or what?

So who's Csaba Szekelyhidi and what's he drive? Looks like you guys had a hell of a battle, but it also looks like you may have had an off course excursion or two.

Looks like Russell couldn't quite make it on one tank.
    Track was slow, way slow. Lots of rain, no test day Friday to put rubber down, and it was warm. You know, all the excuses. Here's my story on the event:

With the “new to me” motor installed in the car, I had decided I was going to use the entire qual session as a shake down and test. I went out on my older enduro compound tires as I wanted to save the wear and tear on the good ones. A couple of the pit workers were nice enough to pop the hood and inspect for leaks after a few laps. I pucked some power steering fluid, but that was because I had over-filled it after the motor swap. Car ran well, no issues thru the session, ran about 30 minutes, but the track was certainly slippery (as in more slippery than normal). I heard the same comment from a lot of drivers. All the rain and no test session to put down rubber on Friday didn’t help of course. Qualed 4th with a not so fast 1:54 lap (compared to the 51 back in May). Went ahead and mounted the stickier Kooks for the race.
    Planned from the outset to just get in a rhythm and log laps for the first half of the race, and made no rush at the start so I went promptly from 4th to 7th, but that was fine with me, no one was going to win it in the first turn. My buddy Rick in the red SM caught up quick to me with a great start and we latched on as planned and started to knock off laps. I was faster than Rick, but since his car is quicker in the turns I decided it would work better to let him lead and draft him, and to give him a little extra “help” on the straights where I am faster. My biggest concern was to keep Csaba in the ITA Fiero in site. He and Mike in the silver SM ended up having quite the battle ahead of Rick and I, it was quite entertaining, although I’m not sure Mike thought that. I was perfectly happy to watch them go at it hard while I conserved tires and kept Rick moving. With about 20 minutes left, it was time for me to go, so I passed Rick and started to hunt down the Csaba and Mike. Lapped traffic started to become a factor (thanks to all of you who were heads up as we came thru) and then Russell in the ITS Supra started having fuel pressure problems. He had taken off with a great start and had put some distance on the rest of us, but he began to back up to us. Csaba and Mike caught him coming thru 3 and 4 and I saw my chance to get a great run out of 5 on to the back stretch. Got by Mike coming out of the turn, Csaba pulled out to center track to pass Russell half way down the back stretch, but I had a good run and went ahead and took the inside, dirty line into T6, late braked, hoped for the best, she stuck and made the pass by both of them as I believe we went three wide. That put me 2nd overall and 1st in class. Which didn’t last long. Braked too late going into T12 and had the right front lock just ever so slightly, was way too deep into the corner to try and save it, so I went ahead and drove it off, got it straightened, grabbed 4th by accident, then correctly grabbed 2nd gear, and the went back after Neal, Csaba and Rick who had passed me during my agricultural excursion (actually only lost a few seconds). And of course I was screaming the F word at myself for the next half lap. Started driving “angry”, Rick was good enough to wave me by on the front stretch and Mike had gotten by Csaba at some point during this whole deal. We had less than 10 minutes at this point so I clicked off some good laps and it looked like Csaba had used up his tires as he was slowing in the turns and not getting a good launch out at all. Caught him on the backside, took a look in T12, got a good run up to 15, and an even better run out of 15 on to the front straight, much better than Csaba. A quick draft, then pulled out to the inside and we had a good old fashioned drag race down the front stretch. The Fiero easily has the same speed as I on the straights, but the better exit from 15 allowed me to power past. Passed under the flag stand side by side and got the one to go lap board, and then completed the pass going into T1. Drove by my rear view mirror the last lap, but Csaba was not really able to make any charge. Came around and took the checker, 1st in ITA and 3rd overall.
    I was certainly tired and hot, dripping when I got out of the car. But the “new” motor held up well, it ran cool, no leaks, the new BHP brakes I tried out did well, and the Kooks didn’t look all that worse for wear after 80 some miles.