Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling all rules nerds,,,,,,

Here's where I start to lose you guys I think:

Altering the location of the tie rod to improve ackerman was the next innovation.

I'm not sure that struts are free means we can later anything from the bottom of the spindle up to the shock tower, especially if it means changing suspension mounting points. Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the rule cause my front strut looks a LOT like an RX setup and some of the things you guys are doing would be of real benefit to me.

Thanks for the discussion on this by the way, has been helpful.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Okay, first stop saying it is a suspension pickup point. That has a very specific definition stated above.
    The strut can be anything you want and if the bolt holes where the steering link attaches to the strut are in a different orientation than stock the steering action is altered. Someone smarter than I deduced that is the orientation was moved a few degrees it would change the steering input.
    How much of the part is the strut depends on the design of the car. With my car it includes the tube and cap that contains the shock, the spindle which is integral to the part and the bottom section that bolts to the lower control arm and the steering link.
    There is no modification to the steering link or either end of the lower control arm.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

On #2 are you talking about going through the front bulkhead?

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by bamfp View Post
    On #2 are you talking about going through the front bulkhead?

Blake

No, rear only. Mid engine car.
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

I guess I stand corrected on the spindle height, given that it's not a pickup point!

As for the bump steer correction - sounds like if you can accomplish it without modifying the steering arm on the knuckle, and using the stock tie rod end, then it's legal?!? But if you wish to, say, replace your stock tie rod ends with a heim joint, bolted with shims to the knuckle, then that's not legal, right? Because then you'd be replacing a stock part with non-factory - unapproved substitution. Correct?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

If you can accomplish a change by changing the strut and just the strut I say it is legal but no other part may be modified.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7