Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut tower braces

Default Strut tower braces

Can someone tell me why triangulated strut tower braces are not allowed in IT? Please don't say that they go against the "philosophy" of IT!
    In my view, these braces are essential in maintaining front-end handling predictability. Ask anybody who has a deep understanding of chassis engineering and they will tell you that a simple strut-to-strut brace is almost worthless... So why would the GCR not allow you to firm up your car in the name of predictability, hence safety?
    I wish to take my Mustang into ITR, and really do not relish the idea of having to remove the cowl bolts from the strut brace, because I remember how flimsy the front of the car was before the brace was installed. It was like a Ramen noodle, and no wonder! The platform architecture dates back to the friggin' 1970s.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Work to get the rule changed! There is a way, in the mean time, a rule is a rule and it applies to everyone!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

As Ed says, a rule is a rule the same as the IT roll cage, mount it to eight places only or choose a different class where the fules are more open.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Default I Never Undertsood That One Either...

But hell, do want you want and if you get protested tell em they can have the position or $4 chuck of wood if they're gonna be a pu$$y about it.

Tom Sprecher

Tom, I was crewing in early March at Robeling Road & I understand after looking at a bunch of Spec Miatas why you may show your South East attitude of "tell em they can have the position or $4 chuck of wood if they're gonna be a pu$$y about it". Would I find the same disrespect for the rules if I had looked at some IT cars? It was a National race therefore no IT cars were around or I would have looked at them. We all should be promoting IT racing within the spirt of the written rules OR as Ed stated get the rule changed by writting a letter.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Ummm, yes, errr, no, welll, maybe.

Not knowing if it's a SEDiv thing or an IT7 attitude and only speaking only for myself the whole "in the spirit of IT" aspect of having or keeping certain rules does not hold a lot of credence with me and from what I have seen around here some others as well. The only reason I do this is to have fun and if some BS rule gets in the way of that I push it aside. Same goes if someone protests me. They get pushed aside.

Like others down here I have a history of not taking kindly to being told what I can and can not do. It stems from knowing I will not be able to effect change without influencing some distant group who obviously does not feel the same way I do so why waste my time trying. Instead, I do what I want, when I want, and if someone bitches about it I have only two words for them and generally speaking it ain't "I'm sorry".

This being said my car for the most part is legal. There may be some vestigial street parts that have not made it back on the car yet and won't until I get a little closer to being competitive. Even still I'm 60# overweight and at 6'2" and 190# this driver can only lose so much weight.

As far as promoting the IT rules I fully support changing any of the rules to make them more attractive to a new, younger group of drivers in an effort to make IT the most desirable group to race in and help turn around the stagnant rate of growth in the SCCA. I understand the purpose of the ITAC and respect them for their values and persistence even while not fully agreeing with their position. At the same time I have to do what is best for me.
    Last edited by tom_sprecher; 06-14-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Can someone tell me why triangulated strut tower braces are not allowed in IT? Please don't say that they go against the "philosophy" of IT!
    In my view, these braces are essential in maintaining front-end handling predictability. Ask anybody who has a deep understanding of chassis engineering and they will tell you that a simple strut-to-strut brace is almost worthless... So why would the GCR not allow you to firm up your car in the name of predictability, hence safety?
    I wish to take my Mustang into ITR, and really do not relish the idea of having to remove the cowl bolts from the strut brace, because I remember how flimsy the front of the car was before the brace was installed. It was like a Ramen noodle, and no wonder! The platform architecture dates back to the friggin' 1970s.
    You've received some interesting responses....

The IT rules were written in the dark ages, essentially, and the category has been operating under those rules for a long time. Which is to say that a lot of cars have been built, and are being raced based on those rules.

From a rulesmaker's perspective, new rules need to be addressed while keeping several constants in mind. One, it is well known that one of the cornerstones of the IT philosophy is the stable ruleset. Competitors often remark that they choose IT because of the stability of the ruleset.

Second, any rule that is a change for every car needs to be made very carefully, as there is significant cost to the rule change.

You've stated that lacking a triangulation brace in the car is a safety concern. This is often termed "the safety card"..but honestly, it's a bit of a stretch, and a cloaked argument in most cases.

In this case, lacking the rigidity won't collapse the car, it will add "Spring" to the chassis. This is not uncommon, and has been dealt with for years. Perhaps it doesn't "feel" good, but lacking one won't lead to a catastrophic failure.

Each car has it's issues, and when considering a car to race, those issues need to be addressed. Triumphs are noted for brakes that are, well, not up to the task in instances. Those desiring to race a Triumph need to attend to the issue, or learn how to drive around it. Rabbits have known strut weaknesses. First generation RX-7 have weak front brakes if not set up properly. Other cars have transmissions known for failure, and so on.

There are two choices in a case like this, other than denial of a request:
    !- Grant an exception on a case by case basis. We can all see the issues that arise in such cases.
    2- Grant category wide permission.

Many have requested that they prefer to mount their battery in the rear of the car. Curiously, it's owners of FWD cars with high placed batteries who suggest this most often, and it's nearly always preceded by, "Safety is being compromised by the requirement to run my battery in it's stock location". Well, the manufacturer has decided that it's not all that unsafe to start with, but....

....the main reason requests like that are denied is the cost of such a change to the entire category. If allowed, the bar has been raised, and everyone must do it to remain in place. A second, less obvious reason is the competitive balance aspect, where certain cars could benefit greatly from such a change, while others will not.

In the end, requests like that need to be considered very carefully, as there are many costs to bear.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I understand Jake's message in the last post. The reasons for rules stability, cost containment, etc.
    But with a strut tower brace, we are not talking about a high-dollar item. This isn't bitching about why I can't have, say, a $2K Brembo big brake kit to combat persistent fade issues on my 29XX-pound Mustang. (And believe me, I could use an upgrade over my pitiful 11-inch front rotors!)
    If a potential modification can be had cheaply, why not allow it? Especially if it makes sense! After all, aftermarket UD pulleys, brake ducts, polyurethane suspension bushings and other relatively inexpensive mods are allowed in IT, and for a variety of reasons.
    I'm relatively new to IT racing, but something tells me that if I raise a fuss with the proper authorities over triangulated strut braces, I'd get very little cooperation.
    Wow. Can't have a couple little bars in the engine compartment.
    Unreal. Really.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Are you willing to support every other driver's individual desires, when he/she presents the exact same argument for his/her favorite cheap, safe modification allowance?

K

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    Ummm, yes, errr, no, welll, maybe.

Not knowing if it's a SEDiv thing or an IT7 attitude and only speaking only for myself the whole "in the spirit of IT" aspect of having or keeping certain rules does not hold a lot of credence with me and from what I have seen around here some others as well. The only reason I do this is to have fun and if some BS rule gets in the way of that I push it aside. Same goes if someone protests me. They get pushed aside.

Like others down here I have a history of not taking kindly to being told what I can and can not do. It stems from knowing I will not be able to effect change without influencing some distant group who obviously does not feel the same way I do so why waste my time trying. Instead, I do what I want, when I want, and if someone bitches about it I have only two words for them and generally speaking it ain't "I'm sorry".

This being said my car for the most part is legal. There may be some vestigial street parts that have not made it back on the car yet and won't until I get a little closer to being competitive. Even still I'm 60# overweight and at 6'2" and 190# this driver can only lose so much weight.

As far as promoting the IT rules I fully support changing any of the rules to make them more attractive to a new, younger group of drivers in an effort to make IT the most desirable group to race in and help turn around the stagnant rate of growth in the SCCA. I understand the purpose of the ITAC and respect them for their values and persistence even while not fully agreeing with their position. At the same time I have to do what is best for me.
    Wow :eek:
    What a load of crap. How do you stay out of jail with an attitude like that?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Toss in a triangulated strut tower brace in and everyone will have to redo their dash bars because all of the new builds will be running a bent dash bar up there that "rubs" the firewall.

Why stop at 3 points.. let's go for 5 and do it right!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Are you willing to support every other driver's individual desires, when he/she presents the exact same argument for his/her favorite cheap, safe modification allowance?

K
    I'll support anything that is economical and has a rational basis for being allowed.
    Again, someone answer me: Why a performance item like a UD pulley in IT but not a chassis-saving triangulated strut brace?
    This whole thing is not making ANY sense to me...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Part of racing IT is accepting the ruleset, and the fact that some of the reasons for allowing some changes and not others are part of the faded and distant past. That can be frustrating for those new to IT; it certainly was for me.

But you come to realize that the answer to your "why" question is, because one was allowed and the other not and because we value rules stability we don't make changes to the rules unless nearly absolutely necessary.

We can ask (and have asked) the same question you are posing about brake upgrades, removing washer bottles, "repairs" to subframes and a million other things that seem to make sense for an IT race car, but that we reject in favor of rules stability.

In time, I think you will come to appreciate this. If we allowed anything and everything that someone thought was a good, cheap idea, we'd have something that in my view would be unworkable.

So, read the rules, and build in accordance with them. It's part of the fun actually, figuring out ways to correct problems iwth your car within the limits of the rules.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Part of racing IT is accepting the ruleset
    It's part of the fun actually, figuring out ways to correct problems iwth your car within the limits of the rules.
    Jeff,

.... I feel like I'm getting to know you better. But I never thought you were having so much fun until I finally realized that it is the "Problem Solving" that fascinates you so........:cool:

............ Man I needed a good laugh today........Thanks

.........Rickey T.............
    Last edited by Hotshoe; 06-15-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    Jeff,

.... I feel like I'm getting to know you better. But I never thought you were having so much fun until I finally realized that it is the "Problem Solving" that fascinates you so........:cool:

............ Man I needed a good laugh today........Thanks

.........Rickey T.............
    Only a real glutton for punishment would take on racing a Turd-8, or encourage a friend to try his hand on a Jensen-Healey. Truely, the worst of British

"Friends don't let friends race British cars!"

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    ...because we value rules stability we don't make changes to the rules unless nearly absolutely necessary.
    Well, then. Define "necessary".

There, I said it. Now we can delve into the realm of the open-ended until we are blue in the face.

I still don't see why certain things are allowed by the rules while others are not. I accept that's how this screwed-up world sometimes works, though....

Thanks to everyone for their opinions/input.
    Last edited by RedMisted; 06-15-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Generally, in IT land, my personal opinion is that necessary means when a change is required to fix an obvious mistake in the rules, or to deal with a tech advancement that the existing rule set doesn't deal with.

There are about 20 things like a triangular strut brace (that being one of them actually) that I would like to add to my car, but which are not sanctioned by the present rule set. While sometimes frustrating, the "policy" of having a stable rule set means for me that I leave with some omissions and idiosyncracies in the rules that may not make sense to ME (but do to others).

Your car will race just fine without the triangular brace. Take a look at the rules and think about other ways to stiffen the the front. For example, sway bars are free.....................................
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I also disagree with this. While its effect can be minimal, a strut to strut brace does stop some flex and also provides additional structural support if/when you bang into something.

Again, look at the sway bar rules. I bet with as much room up front as you have in that car, you can fab up something that stiffens the front of the car as much as you could possibly want.

And Rick, I'm still trying to solve the problem of my car choice......lol.......of course, that problem is headed your way Monday for a make over........lay the botox on THICK!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    . Ask anybody who has a deep understanding of chassis engineering and they will tell you that a simple strut-to-strut brace is almost worthless... .
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

There is probably no question that many of the cars we race are losing something in performance due to chassis flex but that may not be all bad. Perhaps because of the inherent flex there is a point of diminishing returns on suspension upgrades. If I was able to keep the front end from flexing I would most likely get a better performance gain from better front suspension bushings, higher spring rates and or course the more expensive shocks that would require.
    The unintended consequences of what seems like a logical change can be quite far reaching.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I challenge anyone to find a racer in any series from autox to NASCAR that thinks his rules make perfect sense.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967