Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What constitutes a Rabbit?

What bumper's were on the 1979? Did they have the 5 mph bumper "shock absorber" type assemblies like the 1981 units? I had a 1975 Scirocco that didn't have those bumpers. When did they change that?

The chassis is the same, but some of the external parts are different Brake light assemblies or round vs square headlights are a difference, but the only real potential issues are "carb vs F.I."
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Tim,
    '79 bumpers are the 5 mph chrome railroad ties common with period. The GTI that I now have was factory with the al-u-min-ium bumpers. A plain wrapper '84 Rabbit has the railroad ties on it (figures), so I will have to find them if I go ITC. I haven't heard any pro's or con's regarding the 1.7L and whether it is worth building. The 1.6L in my '79 really brought the car to life last year when I put it in, which is why I hate the idea of getting rid of it. The downside to the '79 car is the fact that there are some flex issues with the chassis, and the dwindling ITC fields.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Jim, the 1.7 is a TERRIBLE option. It's basically a 1.6 bore with a longer stroke. I have an IT prepped 1.7 short block if you want it. Shipping would be the limiting cost factor. The "H" block from the Chrysler Omni is a good alternative for a 1.6 since the bore is the same. The early FSV's that used the 1.6 crank used the 1.7 "H" block since the journals.8 are larger. Stay with the 1.6 in ITC, or move to the 1.8 and go to ITB.
    Last edited by racer_tim; 06-20-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL

Tim,
    As I was looking at the spec line for the 1.7 I noticed the bore/stroke on the motor and thought to myself "Slow revving motor". At this point, I believe my options are a) Repair my '79, or b) Sell the running gear & spares I don't need and go ITB. Option B is looking better all the time.

Are the pan rails and the exhaust port spacing the same on both the 1.6 and 1.8? I want to use my oil pan and Techtonics header if they are.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Jim, I am the guy that last had your GTI. I just tried to include my e-mail address, but being that I am a new guy, the forum won't let me. I will be happy to answer any questions about the car........Alex

Jim, your oil pan and header will work with either the 1.6 or the 1.8. I know since the current header and baffle'd pan were on my original 1.6 / 1.7 Scirocco.

Shocks and struts are the same too.
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL

whent through manual. RN and RU share the same head and block, just different stroke.
    Other ones might share the same head and block but different stroke and cam.

Just remember, that not much on the "internal" side is interchangeable between the 1.6 and the 1.8. Maybe the cam, but then the 1.6 and 1.7 only had mechanical heads, but the 1.8 had both the mechanical and the hyrdo.

External ancillaries, oil pan, intake manifold, header, F.I. water pump, etc. should be able to work on either. All of the suspension also can be exchanged between any A1 chassis, except for the the 1982 Scirocco. It's a hybrid between the A1 chassis and the A2 body style.
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL

The Scirocco 2 is still all A1 on the chassis stuff.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    This is a good place. The above as well as others (including Bill Miller, who's been noticeably absent lately) have a very good knowledgebase of the old Rabbit chassis. Hell, I owned one new, and worked at a dealership when they were being sold.

Generally speaking, items of significance to building an IT car: 81-84 Rabbits delivered in the US, with the exception of the convertible, were built in the same factory in PA. Other than IT-irrelevant items such as interior/trim and suspension, as best I can recall, the GTi got the following changes in production versus the regular Rabbit:

- 1.8L JH engine
    - close-ratio transaxle
    - 14" wheels
    - vented front rotors (same calipers as other Kelsey Hayes-equipped Rabbits)
    - larger rear drums (? Need to check on this)
    - aluminum bumpers
    - rear wiper standard (optional on other Rabbits)
    - driver's front wiper had a wind deflector
    - front air dam standard

Did I miss anything?
    Gee whiz Greg, I didn't know you cared!

You've got most of it. Other items that were different were the fuel distributor and the throttle body. Rear drums are the same for all of the Westmorland Rabbits. In fact, I think they're the same for all the Rabbits.

In addition to the different fuel distributor / flapper valve and the throttle body, the GTI's (not GTi !) came w/ a full-throttle enrichment switch that was attached to the throttle body. What this did was make the lambda sensor go open-loop at full throttle.

One of the things I'm not sure of, is if you could get a non-GTI Rabbit w/ functional vent windows. I know that some of the GTI's came w/ fixed windows, I just don't know if any of the 'regular' Rabbits came w/ the functional ones.

Back to lurk mode!

Yes, standard front and rear sway bars on the GTI and not on the Rabbit. BTW, the rear drums are the same size.

I know, since my Wabbit started out as a 1981 "S" model Wabbit. Same basic interior as the GTI, but a little different steering wheel, and like Greg pointed out, all of the same other stuff.

BTW, my 81 "S" model didn't come with a radio either.

And all of the VW's use that terrible carpet glue, and fender attaching muck too.
    Tim Linerud
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL