Thread: Weight Distribution How To

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Holy configuration batman, here I go again.

I've dropped the ball one more inch.
    Added a smidge more angle to the bars.
    And tightened the crap out of the chains.

I succeded in taking 300# more off the rear. 200# went to the front and 100# went back to the trailer. But now it handles like... well, let's just say it handles badly. And I'm sure it's in my head, but the Yukon seems to have lost some power after these last changes.

I'm getting to know all the different folks running the cat scales at my local truck stop.

All the instructions I can find on the internet tell me how to adjust it, but not what the end result should be. A multitude of configurations will give me a level ride with the ride heights the instructions call for. Do I just play until it feels good and looks level? Or do I need to make sure and achieve certain weights on each axle? Thank you for reading, and any knowledge you care to share.

Charles Casteel
    #31 IT7
    Team Phenix Racing

I think the objective goal is to get the same amount of weight to be added to both the front and rear axles.

In reality, that's probably not realistic, nor is it what the car designers would expect. I mean, if you just load up the back of the truck with cargo (no trailer), the weight goes on the rear axle, with no additional weight on the front.

So, find a reasonable compromise. When you are done, the handling should be "confident," and the trailer should be level.

If you can't get there, you might have just a bit too much tongue weight.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

If I'm following the math right, you started light on the front by 500. Then you gained 300 (now -200), and then another 100, so you should be -100 on the front. Which is, as Josh points out, in the range of normal loading.

heck, if it doesn't wheelie over the bumps, you should be fine!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com