Thread: Elumaboard Issue

Default Elumaboard Issue

I just got done helping hook up the Elumaboards on the Acura, and we're experiencing an issue.

The boards work independently, but with both of them hooked up neither of them will light.

Unplug one, the other lights up. Switch one board to the other plug coming out of the transformer, and it works.....as long as the other one isn't plugged in at the same time.

Plug the other one back in, they both turn off.

We had to extend the wires from the transformer to the boards themselves, but I'd have a hard time believing the issue lies there since they both work independently.

There are a couple other low-voltage (short LED bar plus two small 12v light bulbs) running off the same circuit in the car, and there's no issue with those working and no obvious dimming of the light as though the Elumaboard transformer is being overloaded.

Thoughts or tips from those who have dealt with them before? Has anyone had this issue?

(Dave is trying to call King Rat as I type this, but since it's Saturday morning I don't know the chances of getting ahold of them right now....)

Thanks, everyone.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Have you tried swapping polarity, I don't know a lick about how they work but its a place to start.

Are you using the stock wires with the polarized plugs, that can only go one way? If so, then it sounds like there's something wrong with the transformer...

K

Polarity should be fine,I took great care when I was extending the wires not to cross anything.What I did was cut stock clip off the elumaboard side and extend it.Then all I did was fuse onto the stock clip on the other end,once again taking car not to cross anything.So the only stocks parts that are missing is the clip near the side board end the clip and wire that would mate into it.
    Transformer?

Kirk: yep, still using the stock plugs.

Dave: transformer = that little black box.

The little transformer outputs AC, so polarity really shouldn't matter much anyway....

My gut says there's a transformer issue, that it won't output full power and shuts down when loaded with both panels.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Jarrod
    We just got back int the shop after a very busy weekend at the World Challenge race at Watkins Glen.
    Please feel free to contact us at 540.955.9696

Dave Parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Yep,thats whats happening,voltmeter showed 44 with nothing plugged in,went to 31 with one plugged in and down further with both plugged in.Checked the power coming from the battery and everything looked spot on,so far all the wiring seems good and it seems to be pointing towards the inverter,which gets smoken hot when plugged in.I know it will get warm but I mean smoken hot.None of this was checked by me but an electronic guru friend of mine.

Thanks, Dave.

The other Dave (Type R Rocket) got ahold of you this morning - we'll see you at the track this weekend!

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region