Thread: New Anti Spam Feature - Moderators please read

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by pgipson View Post
    I've got a (green) DONATE button. Does that get me anything special?
    Yup- it gets you the chance to keep the old site rolling along!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Kirk, we can bump you up to modertor... I didnt realize you were one before. Just say the word if you have time to moderate.

On another note I added email verification tonight.

If you set this option to 'Yes' new members will not be allowed to post messages until they visit a link that is sent to them in an email when they sign up.

I thought this was enabled by default.. but just discovered it was not. Should thwart still more spammers...

Next I will be adding a "trick question" to the registration process that spammers from Beijing would not know but that any racer would...but what to ask that will not disuade a newbie car guy from joining?? hmmmmmm
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214

EDIT - Just tested the new features. Email response now required to register and the extra quetion to foil standard registration scripts has been added.... Works like a champ... I"m guessing we see very little spam until the next exploit of the forum software ios discovered...if ever.
    - Webmaster

Thanks for not making the posting limit so onerous. I've been on another v-b list for three years and still don't have rights to upload a custom avitar For the longest time I didn't have enough posts to do anything other than text. I tried to get around it, I think this is in the faq on message board posting, but I forgot the term. Where you waste litterally hours posting repeat messages to get your post count up. Above all I had dial up at the time too that would drop out right when I was ready to submit my message In the end the thread was erased and my post count fell back down to text only levels. For the next year I avoided that board like the plague.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter