I think I've done my due diligence. I've red the GCR, I've searched here and other places. I realize the answer is in the GCR, but I can poke holes in the GCR fuel cell logic with a marshmellow.

9.3.26 says "All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications. All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum."

Period.

But 9.3.26.4 goes on to say that for cars not required to use a fuel cell the use of a rotary molded cell is allowable.

Rotary molded fuel cell is not defined, but I take that to mean a plastic molded cell that does not contain a bladder, just foam.

Conclusion: it is pretty clear that 9.3.26.4 negates the one sentence of 9.3.26 "All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum." because clearly it is directly contradictory.

Questions:

1. Does this also negate the sentence "All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications."? To me the only way it could negate that sentence is if is impossible for both to be true as is the case in the sentence about metal container. Otherwise 9.3.26.4 can be used to negate any section of 9.3.26.

2. Does 9.3.26.4 negate any other sections of 9.3.26? Specifically the parts of 9.3.26.3 related to venting or breathers (depending on which sentence you are in)?

If not, then can someone explain what is required by section 9.3.26.3 (venting/breathing) for cheapo plastic fuel cells that are mounted inside a hatchback? Other than building a metal "bulkhead" box around the plastic cell, is anything else required?

Also, am I correct that even if you have an FIA spec metal fuel cell with a foam bladder in a hatchback you are still required to build a metal "bulkhead" around that cell to seperate from the driver?

thanks

jim