Thread: Explain requirements of IT fuel cell

Default Explain requirements of IT fuel cell

I think I've done my due diligence. I've red the GCR, I've searched here and other places. I realize the answer is in the GCR, but I can poke holes in the GCR fuel cell logic with a marshmellow.

9.3.26 says "All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications. All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum."

Period.

But 9.3.26.4 goes on to say that for cars not required to use a fuel cell the use of a rotary molded cell is allowable.

Rotary molded fuel cell is not defined, but I take that to mean a plastic molded cell that does not contain a bladder, just foam.

Conclusion: it is pretty clear that 9.3.26.4 negates the one sentence of 9.3.26 "All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum." because clearly it is directly contradictory.

Questions:

1. Does this also negate the sentence "All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 or higher (FT-3.5, FT-5, etc.) specifications."? To me the only way it could negate that sentence is if is impossible for both to be true as is the case in the sentence about metal container. Otherwise 9.3.26.4 can be used to negate any section of 9.3.26.

2. Does 9.3.26.4 negate any other sections of 9.3.26? Specifically the parts of 9.3.26.3 related to venting or breathers (depending on which sentence you are in)?

If not, then can someone explain what is required by section 9.3.26.3 (venting/breathing) for cheapo plastic fuel cells that are mounted inside a hatchback? Other than building a metal "bulkhead" box around the plastic cell, is anything else required?

Also, am I correct that even if you have an FIA spec metal fuel cell with a foam bladder in a hatchback you are still required to build a metal "bulkhead" around that cell to seperate from the driver?

thanks

jim

Well, I did read those and on second thought I guess it's not too smart of me to ask the same question when neither of those threads answers the questions.

Like one of the other newbies said, it's pretty frustrating that it's not possible to determine the correct answer by reading the GCR.

The GCR is just not clear. If 9.3.26.4 only negates the sentence about metal container but not FIA rating then we're never going to get anywhere because that doesn't make logical sense. And if it negates both then it's still not clear whether 9.3.26.4 has any impact on .1 .2 and .3.

It's funny, of all the safety standards we ought to be able to set, this one should be pretty important.

jim

Jim, the best advice is to check with the person that will be teching your car. There are two different reads and no one desiring to stir up a hornet’s nest by getting a clarification.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I take it as to imply that rotary molded fuel cell bladders are OK but you still need a metal container.

That, and we all gotta go sometime, but I prefer that in my case it not be on fire. :eek:
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Jim, the best advice is to check with the person that will be teching your car. There are two different reads and no one desiring to stir up a hornet’s nest by getting a clarification.
    Sorry, yeah, I did get that from the ealirer discussion. That was before I cared. Now that I care I kinda forgot that.

So nevermind, forget I asked.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    I take it as to imply that rotary molded fuel cell bladders are OK but you still need a metal container.

That, and we all gotta go sometime, but I prefer that in my case it not be on fire. :eek:
    Thats my understanding, and I can't see how its not safe. What do you think stock tanks are made from? Its the same stuff, and its in a metal can to further protect it. I wouldn't run without the can, but as a bladder, what's the issue?