50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicane

28 56.00%
  • No Chicane

22 44.00%

Thread: Chicane or Not Chicane?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's the end of The straight we are talking about, not just any straight...and it follows a fast kink/turn, which is after another shortish straight.

What Dave is saying is that, the combination of corners (better shot out of the tricky combo leading onto the finish straight resulting in a closing coming into the bridge turn, and a better bridge turn speed) can lead to a overlap on that straight. But, it shuts down early for the chicane. Now, yes, typically, ITB cars shouldn't be passing ITS cars in that situation, but, hey, ITS cars shouldn't be racing with ITB cars AT ALL! So i see Dave's scenario as possible.

I know the exact situation occurred multiple times for me, an IT-7 car trying to get around ITA cars, and i was 1/3 alongside and gaining when the door would get shut. If I had had the extra bit of straight, the pass would have been made.

I think we are there to race, (which means pass) and tricky turn combinations create passing chances if they have appropriate straights following them to consolidate the gains made. And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I dunno and I can't relate Jake.
    The situation I kept getting in with a particular ITS car last weekend was that the Chicane helped me keep him from dorking up my race with another ITB car.

He'd close on me on the front straight, then I'd pull away through turn 1, then he'd close on me again going up the hill. Had the chicane NOT been there he'd have passed me every time going into the keyhole and severely held me up. With the chicane, I could put enough distance on him through there and the keyhole that I could block him going into Madness and pull away again.

I also passed a few faster class cars in the chicane by getting inside them for the first right, holding the position on the outside through the left, and then having the inside line entering the keyhole. There are some other tricky lines you can use as well.

I'm probably giving up too many strategic points, but I honestly don't understand some of the thinking here. I have less horsepower... Give me more turns. I'll make the passes work there.
    Maybe it comes from spending a few years in ITC, where the turns are the ONLY place you can pass.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    .....And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.
    chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have a perfect solution, who ever wants to use the chicane can and who ever wants to use no chicane can. This would make it even more interesting going into the Keyhole.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    I have a perfect solution, who ever wants to use the chicane can and who ever wants to use no chicane can.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I guess since I can't actually get close enough to an ITS car at the end of the straights to outbrake them that whole thing doesn't compute for me.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I guess since I can actually get close enough to an ITB car at the end of the straights to outbrake them that whole thing does compute for me.

I knew you'd see the logic with a little help!

Kidding Scott, Don't hate me~
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Well maybe you just need a Kessler Engineering motor.

Scott, these were not the front running ITS cars but the mid to back of the pack ITS cars doing the same approximate times us ITB cars were doing. Some of them were new to racing, had more power than us but broke very early. You would have dealt with the same thing, which is exactly why I personally don't strongly care one way or another. This event will be my first race of the year, so I'll be psyched to shake off the cob webs and get out there.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

I knew you'd see the logic with a little help!

Kidding Scott, Don't hate me~
    I was actually thinking that, but writing it myself would have depressed me.

Scott, who isn't exactly "fast" at the end of the straights.

PS - I was also dealing with an ITS car last weekend that was turning about the same lap times but was double digit MPH faster than me on the straights, and yeah, I'll take the chicane.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.
    I was flagging the Trans Am/ Indycar race there in the Mid 80’s and an Indycar spun in the chicane and ended up all the way into the wall drivers left exit of the keyhole. The Indy guys were kind of freaked and the next year they had the Pro course. The Porsche won that race by the way.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Scott, beyond what Jake said... Last year we were doing similar times with a few ITS cars. While it may have been possible for me to pass one or two of the cars in the chicane, it would have hurt my lap time (as if spinning it during race one didn't ). I also found that while some of the ITS cars we were running with had more power, the end of the back straight was a great place to make the pass as they were timid of going too deep under braking. Not using the chicane does create a better passing opportunity.

Giving up too many strategic points. LOL! Most of us ITB cars are not afraid of passing in corners or anywhere else including braking. Honestly I don't care much which configuration even if it's the dirt motocross track beyond the chicane.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Well I read through the supps, yes I read. It does not mention which configuration we are running, or did I miss it? Is this by design or is there gonna be a game time call? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

Well I read through the supps, yes I read. It does not mention which configuration we are running, or did I miss it? Is this by design or is there gonna be a game time call? Inquiring minds want to know.
    O.K......Chicane in 2008. No Chicane 2009 Chicane 2010 No Chicane 2011 etc..etc..

Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    O.K......Chicane in 2008. No Chicane 2009 Chicane 2010 No Chicane 2011 etc..etc..
    Seriously??

That's cool, actually.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

i am hoping for the chicane as a way to slow down certain other cars.

jake, i tried sending you an email about the hoosiers.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    WAIT we had chicane last year so it should be no chicane this year.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

I thought about it but decided against it this year. I need some kind of incentive to get everyone to come back next year when gas drops to .20 cents a gallon.

Sure you want another passing zone under hard braking?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I won't lie....even I thought the same thing.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX