50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicane

28 56.00%
  • No Chicane

22 44.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicane or Not Chicane?

Default Chicane or Not Chicane?

If thats the question, the answer is pretty simple...

CHICANE!!!

I just spent my first weekend racing at MO, with the chicane, and its one of the best sections of track I've ever been on. I LOVED it.

For folks that say you can't pass there... Uhhh... Whatever.
    I made quite a few passes there, as did a bunch of other folks.

I can see where A Sedan and other "more power than handling" classes wouldn't want it, but for most IT cars its definately the way to go.

Can't wait until August!
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Combo for the weekend... Satuday with and Sunday Without!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Condensed broken record response:

God intended for Mid Ohio to be ran with the chicane.
    I'll show up either way.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I'm actually thinking the best "poll" if you are going to use one is to poll the pre-entered drivers. Otherwise there is no telling who is actually voting.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post

I'll show up either way.
    +2!!! (I get two votes, since both my teammate and I are already signed up! )
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post

I'll show up either way.
    LOL Kevin, GOD'S A PRO and they run it without the chicane!:cool: Really don't matter to me, I can run it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    LOL Kevin, GOD'S A PRO and they run it without the chicane!:cool:
    ZING! Well done, old chap; well done.

If Amy doesn't want it, what more proof do you need to use it?

What could be simpler?

Scott, who says "the drag strip is over there."
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

I'm sure you're just that much better of a driver, but I did find it difficult to pass some of those ITS cars that were involved in the ITB race. Not using the chicane would have provided an excellent place to accomplish this instead of my having to force it a bit more in a different place.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post

What could be simpler?

ZING! Well done, old chap; well done.

Really, I don't care a whole lot. Running with the chicane just seems "right" to me, but my car probably stands a better chance without it. As for running with cars out of class and having to maybe get a little more creative to make passes, my reaction to that is "Yea, that's Mid Ohio. Sounds about right." But, I get the point. Championship event - shouldn't have to deal with that (as much). Whatever, like I said, I'll show up either way.
    Last edited by R2 Racing; 06-07-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

If thats the question, the answer is pretty simple...

CHICANE!!!

I just spent my first weekend racing at MO, with the chicane, and its one of the best sections of track I've ever been on. I LOVED it.

I can see where A Sedan and other "more power than handling" classes wouldn't want it, but for most IT cars its definately the way to go.

Can't wait until August!
    I'll second that.. its the best feature of the track for me...

What could be simpler?

'Course, I could reply "well, if Giles doesn't want it, what more proof do you need?" and "The autocross track is over there." But I won't.

Personally, I'd just like to try something different. Never raced there without the chicane, and this is the only opportunity I'll have. You guys that live nearby, on the other hand, not only have the advantage of running that way many, many more times than the folks making the long tows in (maybe familiarity being your primary reason for supporting it?) but I'm guessing you get at least a shot or two per year to try it the other way.

I'm also guessing the reason Pro chooses to run without it is pretty damn simple: it opens up a passing area that does not exist otherwise, making for better racing and spectating. Given I've got a dead-stock engine this year (and I'm a 4-cyl in FWD in ITS, no less!), and I find the chicane a PERFECT tool to block a faster, higher-horsepower car from passing me, I'll be fine...

Chicane.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

I find the chicane a PERFECT tool to block a faster, higher-horsepower car from passing me, I'll be fine...

Exactly Greg! I've raced it both ways, trust me you'll have fun with both. I like the idea of one day w/ chicane and one day without.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I'm sure you're just that much better of a driver, but I did find it difficult to pass some of those ITS cars that were involved in the ITB race. Not using the chicane would have provided an excellent place to accomplish this instead of my having to force it a bit more in a different place.
    You kinda lost me there Dave. The end of a straight is not where I'm going to be passing ITS cars in my ITB car.
    Just sayin'.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

It's the end of The straight we are talking about, not just any straight...and it follows a fast kink/turn, which is after another shortish straight.

What Dave is saying is that, the combination of corners (better shot out of the tricky combo leading onto the finish straight resulting in a closing coming into the bridge turn, and a better bridge turn speed) can lead to a overlap on that straight. But, it shuts down early for the chicane. Now, yes, typically, ITB cars shouldn't be passing ITS cars in that situation, but, hey, ITS cars shouldn't be racing with ITB cars AT ALL! So i see Dave's scenario as possible.

I know the exact situation occurred multiple times for me, an IT-7 car trying to get around ITA cars, and i was 1/3 alongside and gaining when the door would get shut. If I had had the extra bit of straight, the pass would have been made.

I think we are there to race, (which means pass) and tricky turn combinations create passing chances if they have appropriate straights following them to consolidate the gains made. And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I dunno and I can't relate Jake.
    The situation I kept getting in with a particular ITS car last weekend was that the Chicane helped me keep him from dorking up my race with another ITB car.

He'd close on me on the front straight, then I'd pull away through turn 1, then he'd close on me again going up the hill. Had the chicane NOT been there he'd have passed me every time going into the keyhole and severely held me up. With the chicane, I could put enough distance on him through there and the keyhole that I could block him going into Madness and pull away again.

I also passed a few faster class cars in the chicane by getting inside them for the first right, holding the position on the outside through the left, and then having the inside line entering the keyhole. There are some other tricky lines you can use as well.

I'm probably giving up too many strategic points, but I honestly don't understand some of the thinking here. I have less horsepower... Give me more turns. I'll make the passes work there.
    Maybe it comes from spending a few years in ITC, where the turns are the ONLY place you can pass.
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    .....And let's remember, adding the chicane was intended to keep cars out of the kitty litter on the outside, not to make for better racing.
    chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I have a perfect solution, who ever wants to use the chicane can and who ever wants to use no chicane can. This would make it even more interesting going into the Keyhole.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    chicane was the original track. "pro" course change was added for champ cars, etc.

at least that is my memory of events. i am with Kevin on this. i love the chicane but will be there either way.
    I was flagging the Trans Am/ Indycar race there in the Mid 80’s and an Indycar spun in the chicane and ended up all the way into the wall drivers left exit of the keyhole. The Indy guys were kind of freaked and the next year they had the Pro course. The Porsche won that race by the way.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7