I dunno and I can't relate Jake.
The situation I kept getting in with a particular ITS car last weekend was that the Chicane helped me keep him from dorking up my race with another ITB car.

He'd close on me on the front straight, then I'd pull away through turn 1, then he'd close on me again going up the hill. Had the chicane NOT been there he'd have passed me every time going into the keyhole and severely held me up. With the chicane, I could put enough distance on him through there and the keyhole that I could block him going into Madness and pull away again.

I also passed a few faster class cars in the chicane by getting inside them for the first right, holding the position on the outside through the left, and then having the inside line entering the keyhole. There are some other tricky lines you can use as well.

I'm probably giving up too many strategic points, but I honestly don't understand some of the thinking here. I have less horsepower... Give me more turns. I'll make the passes work there.
Maybe it comes from spending a few years in ITC, where the turns are the ONLY place you can pass.