Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Itr 300zx

And the TR8 will continue to evolve. I plan on staying in that car for at least 3-4 more years, maybe longer. 300zx was too good a deal so I bought, may or may not build it up. Stock it makes about 180 whp and 170 wtq so for its weight I think you are right, it is not the torque monster I thought it may be. Lots of racing stuff out there for it.

In any event, all of htis is premature......TR8 for the foreseeable future.....no Barber for me though, Nashville in a week and a half and then car goes to body shop for dent repair and paint. Daytona, SIC, CMP, October VIR and then I hope the FI motor will be done and ready to install.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

No ARRC by GRM, Jeff?
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

I'm scairt of Road Atlanta....lol...

Not this year, but next, definitely.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeff, I am jealous. I seriously looked at buying that car myself. But the funds weren't there at that moment. But now the house renovation is done, and the 240sx is being put back togther now. If you decide to sell it, let me know directly. God knows I need yet another project to pour all my money into (cause I havent been doing that lately HA). Im not sure it is a absolute winner, but I am a Nissan guy.......period. hey I am in Durham covering Kennedy[s surgury. Arent you in the area?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Excellent on the house!

You have first dibs on the car if I sell. This is the car (well, I wanted to do a 928 but that car is silly, and not even classed yet) I wanted for ITR. I intend to build it slow and "watch" and see how ITR develops. I think it 50% chance at best I race it - you get it if I don't.

I am in the RTP today, leaving late tonight for Greeneville SC, but could get a beer later in Durham on the way out if you around. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll p.m. you my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Jeff, I am jealous. I seriously looked at buying that car myself. But the funds weren't there at that moment. But now the house renovation is done, and the 240sx is being put back togther now. If you decide to sell it, let me know directly. God knows I need yet another project to pour all my money into (cause I havent been doing that lately HA). Im not sure it is a absolute winner, but I am a Nissan guy.......period. hey I am in Durham covering Kennedy[s surgury. Arent you in the area?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
    All the motors except the turbo have variable valve timing of some sort that may offer some challenges but it may be easy to disable.
    Not legal unless you do it with the ECU.

Looks like you bought the BB racing one. I too was tempted at that price. I decided to stick with the 240 instead. Found a really nice body for $775 that I drove home. I'm thinking of "porting" everything from the current car into it. I'll post pics eventually.

Motor designation for the 2nd gen 300ZX is VG30DE. The twin-turbo is VG30DETT. There's tons of knowledge on the 95 and earlier OBD I motors. There's even a few homegrown engine management systems that people have developed that are pretty cool (and cheap). The slick-top should be a good start to a competitive car. Balanced Performance is another shop in the Atl area that's done a lot of work on these cars, but they tend to be on the pricey side. www.twinturbo.net is a good site for info.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Doesn't the VG30 out of the Z31 have 160hp stock and the Z32 vg30de have 222hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Makaha View Post
    Doesn't the VG30 out of the Z31 have 160hp stock and the Z32 vg30de have 222hp?
    Z31 later years made 165hp/174tq.

Z32 VG30De made 196/188
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

No, Prince is right. Z31 was 160 hp stock. Z32 na is 222.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The VG30E (1987 and later) in the Z31 made a little more horsepower and torque then the earlier VG30. In an ITS engine build it probably doesn't matter which one you start with, but if you're buying junkyard engines and running them its worth the effort to find the later VG30Es.

The VG30DE respopnds well to a typical IT build. Jim Thompson at Sunbelt probably knows the most about these engines. A well built and driven Z32 should give the BMWs fits.

BTW... anyone propsed classing the 2003 350Z in ITR? (ducks)

-----
    John Coffey
    [email protected]
    http://www.betamotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    BTW... anyone propsed classing the 2003 350Z in ITR? (ducks)
    If you neglect the 240hp limit for ITR, the process puts that car at 4200 lbs...

Yeah, I kinda figured. Cal Club has a regional RS (radial sedan) class where the 350Z would have to run at 4,600 lbs with driver. I can't imagine the passenger floor supporting 1,000 lbs. of ballast. :eek:

Oh my gosh! You just wanted to be like your favorite controller at ABB!!!

We are building one too.
    Jennifer Rudder

PFM Racing

No kidding!?! Stay in touch then. Mine is definitely a long term build, but I'm already scrounging a bit for parts. Man it will be nice to have 4 wheel discs and EFI.

When do you expect to have yours finished?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I hope that it will be done by ARRC but that all depends on the money situation. It should be fun. I will let you know if we find any great deals on stuff.
    Jennifer Rudder

PFM Racing

Better update that website Jennifer!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Funny story on how Jennifer and I came to find out we both race....

I was working with her company on a rather nasty piece of litigation with the Government, and while I'd been to her factory before in St. Louis several times I had not since she took over as controller.

I was sitting in a conference room with the GM of the plant and we got to talking about what he did for fun (his daughter was a top notch softball player and he spent a lot of ime on that) and I mentioned racing. He said oh! My controller races! Let me call them over.

I suspected it would be a roundy round guy, mid 50s.

In walks Jennifer.

And actually, her and her husband's website was one of the first I found when I started thinking about going IT racing. In fact, I remember thinking, hell, if they can make a Fiat race with modern stuff, I can do the same with a TR8! So yes, her and her husband are at least partially responsible for my insane car choice.......

They are good folks, and long time racers.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Obviously it doesnt take much to lead you astray, he says from the cafe in Paris, while sipping a Heineken.

Send me a message if you need cage work. If I remember the add you are good to go, but I can bend 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 tubing and notch and weld anything.

Mike

Looks like the Nissan club is getting a new member....

My first gen 300zx ITS project is going slow......but I hope to
    have it on the track at the first of the season next year......