Thread: '99-'00 Addition of Mazda Protege ES to ITB

Default '99-'00 Addition of Mazda Protege ES to ITB

Think this car can compete with the Honda's in ITB? I still have a part ownership in a '00 Protege SSC car. It always handled great with the trunk kit, but with modest power and the aerodynamics of a brick, we couldn't see ITA.

Steve

It'll be on the heavy-ish side but should have better power and as much torque as the Golf III. How are the gearbox ratios? If they aren't sucky, it should be pretty OK, I'd think.

K

I'll do some homework on the gear ratios this weekend; 5th is pretty tall, we never used it on any of the SE tracks.

We also don't have a LS diff, not sure where we could find one. And the weight is a concern. We wouldn't do anything until his winter, got time to think through the possibilities.

Steve

Steve:

I think the car would be pretty good but the Civic that you used to have is the car to do for ITB.

Les Chaney
    Les Chaney
    #33 FP Volvo

You're right, but that thing is long gone. You know the deal about going with what you got....

Jeff Underwood is building a Honda, and it'll be fast!

We offer a LSD (Quaife).

I have a 00 SSC car that I am considering converting to ITB as well. We have a header, I can re-valve the Bilsteins, add a rear bar, intake, and I have a TON of OE 99 Miata 15x6" wheels laying around. It would run in the same enduro class as it did as a showroom stock and be faster... Kinda seems like a no-brainer.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Good to hear from you, Tim, and very encouraging to see there would be some good parts out there for the car. We'd need some help with the shocks, the rest is pretty straightforward.

Steve

Steve,

Would you consider selling as an SSC car? How much?

Don't know, have to ask my "co-owner" his thoughts. (My vote is this ITB thing, but he may not be feeling it).

May take a couple of days, if you can stand-by.

Steve

Steve,

I'm toying with some ideas for next year. Send me an email at [email protected] when you have more info.

Thanks,
    Rory