Thread: Lone Star Grand Prix Restricted Regional

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post

BTW, For the info of all, I am now on the LSR BoD and doing my best to look out for the regional racers. I am open to comments, complaints, and suggestions. Tell me what we can to to make the regional program better and I'll take it to the Board.
    Jerry,

That is great you are taking the initiative and getting involved. It is appreciated. I went to a SOWDIV meeting last summer, while I intended to stay all day, I left after just a few hours. It was overwhelmingly clear to me how this division felt about regional racing. It's a national division, we all know that. Can you bring back regional? I have doubts. I only have so much time in a day and as this was not something I was able to commit helping fix.

The biggest group of regional cars in the Southwest is SRX7. Look at their 2008 schedule, 7 weekends with NASA and 2 with SCCA.

1) Competition. NASA is fairly strong in TX. - More tracks, more track time, more races per weekend, contingency (Mazdaspeed, Hawk and Hoosier for me), atmosphere/attitude, cheaper entry. This isn't just my opinion, ask around. It's fact.

2) SOWDIV attitude about regional cars.

You got to match or beat the competition. That's going to be tough. You can't do it on SCCA loyalty alone as you can't grow without new racers. This is an uphilll battle. Do you get the 5 course meal for $99 or the 2 course meal for $129?

Attitude. Easy to change ones own, but not the entire group.

I think the best thing that could happen for SOWDIV is for SCCA to do away with regional/national both car and license distinctions. The membership here is too small too be breaking things up with car and license differences.

I do not have the answers but maybe some of this gives you some ideas as to what is happening.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Mark, did you ever get an answer to your question about entry increases again from the Other Organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
    Mark, did you ever get an answer to your question about entry increases again from the Other Organization?
    No. And I only asked once, never pursued it any further. The fee this year is $328.95 every weekend and the Championship is $499. The other organization entry fee for a weekend is still cheaper than SCCA (which varies).
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT