Thread: Another 240SX header question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Chris, You drove all the way to Road Atlanta to "snoop"..hahahaa..I figured you had pics, no need for a verbal/written description. Glad to see your car is running good. I stop in and check the forum from time to time and I saw this thread. I like that headerdesign.com site also. Everyone take care, good luck racing, I really miss it. Maybe one day I'll give another shot.
    Chris Newberry
    Atlanta, GA

I'd have to look to see what Bob did on the exhaust in my car. I can't picture it here at work. I can tell you that it goes extremely close to the steering column and was obviously fabricated just to miss it. I hope to make Road Atlanta in July and the hood is usually up.

As for heat in the floor, use a piece of sheet metal and sandwich some insulation between it and the floor like Tristan said. Just pop rivet the sheet metal to the floor to keep everything in place. That's what I've got and I haven't melted a shoe yet.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Holy shit, why didn't you guys tell me the exhaust in these cars is so friggin important!?!?!?!?!?

Today was the first time I've had the car on the track since re-vamping the exhaust. For the time being I just went with the cheap & easy way out - cut the collector where it was about 2-3/8" diameter, welded on one of those Mr. Gasket header reducers, backwards (2-1/2" opening up to 3"), and ran that right into a section of 3" pipe, into a bullet muffler, and then ran 3" pipe back and out the right side in front of the rear wheel. Loud as shit inside the car, and probably to anyone on the right side of the car - but on the left side, where sound control just happens to be at Summit, it was only hitting 99 db.

I had no idea what to expect going up there this morning - was just hoping that I would see some noticeable difference. Well, I am pleased to report there was a noticeable difference - 1.3 seconds of noticeable difference!!! Yes, that's 1.3 SECONDS, off my previous best time, which I set at MARRS 1 this April, which was also the last time I had the car on track. Needless to say I was just a little stoked.

So, now I need to plan some time to try out a couple other designs that Chris and Jim have been kind enough to pass along - hopefully there is still a little more power hiding under the hood.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5