Thread: Summit 12 Hours

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    The resulting answer was that the back-lit boards would not be required and the sup's would be updated to reflect that. When I saw this post I resurrected the email from last winter, the response I got confirmed that the previous answer still stood & the sup's would be updated. Seems they have been updated.
    The committee discussed the inability to see numbers at night at some length and decided that lit numbers would be mandatory. It seems that, once again, someone has ignored the committee and done whatever the hell they want. Might as well not waste everyone's time with having a rules making committee.

Personnally I'm not sad that regular old GCR standard numbers will work as it keeps one item off the list of prep to do. Plus from what I've read, those numbers are not terribly durable to tire rubs, rock chips etc. I also don't see what has changed in the past 3 years that is different from the previous 50. Night racing has been going on for decades w/o these numbers. But this is just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
    For the most part, amatuer racing hasn't happened all that much at night over the history of the club, so the GCR doesn't have rules on night racing. Same goes for refueling. The GCR requirements have never been 100% satisfactory for night racing and it's been left to the Regions to break trail here. The amount of contact in these events - and in particular the 12 Hours at the Point - has gone up dramatically since the introduction of certain types of cars. It always has been impossible to identify cars at night.

What this extralegal decision has just done is given a free pass to contact and passing under the yellow at night. It's difficult enough to spot contact at night, but getting a flashlight on the cars in a split-second is out of the question. Anyone who has spent time out on the corners for a night stint understands that.

well, i guess this topic will be a lively one at the comp committe 12hr planning meeting tomorrow night. there has been no notice to the committee that our direction to require the boards has changed. i will be pushing to make sure the boards are required...still.