Thread: Looking for 944S2 racers

Question Looking for 944S2 racers

I know there's a couple lurking out there... I'm looking for some insight on S2 engine builds - specifically for a friend/crewmember who is at the point where he has to buy new pistons for rebuild of his street/track/DE S2. So I'm wondering just how much more CR would even be desirable on pump gas, other appropriate internal mods, and experience/thoughts on changing the ECU from stock to something programmable...

Please drop me a line, email vaughan (at) vaughanscott (dot) com...

Thanks!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My investigations led me to John Milledge (Possibly now retired) and Greg Fordahl in the Pac NW.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks... he's going mostly stock on the rebuild, it seems...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My only other thought is the Pelican board, or Grafton Robertson, who posts here occasionally. I think I remember a post or two by him in an RX-8 thread..."June Fastack"???
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I built my '87 944S engine (high performance street). Hang on to your wallet! I did most of the stuff myself and was on a pretty good Porsche and Bosch parts deal at the time. ...still incredibly expensive. If you race a Porsche, you probably already know this, but try dealing with Lindsey. Always good to work with: http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=LR
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

Default 944 S2

John Milledge is definitely the guy for 3.0L/944 knowledge. His cars were VERY strong everywhere we went with the Firehawk Tour, not giving up anything on the straights against some big HP guns. I should know I was working on the "factory" Toyota Supra Turbo at the time and it was oh so "legal". The Supra would clock 158 at the end of the front straight at Portland, with the S2 @ 154, LS-1 Camaros 152, Mustangs 150. The S2 is a fantastic track car, but does have a much more finite limit as far a HP goes compared to its Turbo brethren. The motor is bulletproof if serviced (timing belt, cam chain tensioner) and brakes, suspension, transmission are robust and have a strong aftermarket.
    Steve
    '90 Porsche 944 S2
    '05 Volvo V70 T5

I would try Albert Broadfoot, he hs been doing Porsche water cooled cars for 30 plus years...

http://www.broadfootracing.com/
    Paul Goyette
    Brumos Porsche
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    lildebbieracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Team SSR View Post
    I built my '87 944S engine (high performance street). Hang on to your wallet! I did most of the stuff myself and was on a pretty good Porsche and Bosch parts deal at the time. ...still incredibly expensive. If you race a Porsche, you probably already know this, but try dealing with Lindsey. Always good to work with: http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=LR
    Yup, I second the money aspect. An S2 build can make an early 911 motor build look cheap and easy.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region