Thread: '84 VW Rabbit for ITC

Default '84 VW Rabbit for ITC

Considerind taking Speedwell off of life support and donoring the vitals into a relatively race ready '84 Bunny. These questions arise:

1) Did the '84 Rabbit come equipped with solid or vented front rotors?
    2) The GCR spec line shows a 5 speed - I suppose a 4 speed is illegal, si?
    3) Is this chassis a quantum leap (theoretically speaking) above my '79, handling wise?
    4) Is there any chassis differences between an '84 Rabbit and the GTI? The GTI has the 1.8L motor and 14" wheels, but what else?
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Someone smarter than I will reply soon, but I believe only the GTI had the vented rotors.
    The GTI also had a bigger rear sway bar and stiffer springs (which can all be replaced anyway).
    The GTI was only available with the 5 speed.
    Dave Webb
    Bare Bones Racing
    '84 VW GTI
    #17 ITB

GTI does have vented brakes - the only difference is the rotors themselves.
    GTI is 5 speed only.
    No chassis differences that I know of between Rabbit and GTI. Should handle the same, but be faster.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
    Considerind taking Speedwell off of life support and donoring the vitals into a relatively race ready '84 Bunny. These questions arise:

1) Did the '84 Rabbit come equipped with solid or vented front rotors?
    2) The GCR spec line shows a 5 speed - I suppose a 4 speed is illegal, si?
    3) Is this chassis a quantum leap (theoretically speaking) above my '79, handling wise?
    4) Is there any chassis differences between an '84 Rabbit and the GTI? The GTI has the 1.8L motor and 14" wheels, but what else?
    1) The 1.7 (which is the ITC rabbit) cam with solid front rotors. The '84 GTI (ITB came with vented front rotors.

4) Other than the motor, vented rotors, and wheel size, there were some things like front spoiler, side trim, etc.
    Last edited by itracer; 05-16-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

The GTI was only available with the 5 speed. - keycom

The GTI is a 5 speed, but what about a baseline '84 Rabbit? Page 373 in the handy dandy GCR, last column is for the 81-84 VDub Rabbit 1.7's and the only ratios shown total five. The line above is for 75-80 Rabbits and there are three gearboxes for the cars - 2 four speeds and a five speed. Hence my question - is a 4 speed legal for the '84? The 5 speed is between 15-20 lbs. heavier - yes/no?

This car is currently an ITB GTI in form, with a 1.8, vented rotors, 14" wheels, etc, etc. My thought was to put my 2 race fresh 1.6 motor, brakes, CIS, etc. into the '84, have it savagely scrutineered by more knowledgable IT competitors, and go race ITC. It sounds relatively simple, but I have been known at times to see the world thru rose colored glasses at times or have my head where the sun doesn't shine.

OOOOOOOOrrrrrrr, should I throw caution to the wind and just race ITB? It can't be any more expensive than C and there are usually more people to race in B I've noticed.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp