Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grattan anyone?

It's official, I have sent in the entry form. I also talked with the registrar and it sounds like the ITS field is still Doane, Russell and White.
    Russell White
    Indianapolis, IN
    '85 Toyota Supra ITS #14

I sent mine in yesterday. Tires showed up today! Now as long as the trailer (10 months old!) is fixed by thursday, I'm good to go! If not, I'll be borrowing a trailer for the trip. Looking forward to the crazy group 6 race this weekend!!! I don't think they could fit more groups in with us if they had to!!!

See you all at the track!

Matt
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by GT240sx View Post
    It's official, I have sent in the entry form. I also talked with the registrar and it sounds like the ITS field is still Doane, Russell and White.
    See you in impound if I don't park it out by the treeline again.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Ready to go! Just got done packing and will be pulling out in a few hours. Meeting the guys on the way and am looking forward to having a few cold ones tomorrow afternoon/evening!!

See you all at the track!

matt
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Don't you guys be slackin' on the updates, now!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    Don't you guys be slackin' on the updates, now!
    OK, I'll start.

Perfect weather. Car count down a little, but the region broke even.

I tried to get by with old tires for the weekend, but it didn't work out at all. By the end of qual Saturday I was 3 seconds off my pace and my 8-tire supply was down to 3 barely usable. Hoosier didn't show and Goodyear had nothing for me, so I feared I'd be going home early. George Russell won the ITS pole but broke his transmission in the process, so he very generously offered me his tires. Worked out very well for me as I got my first (and second) career win.

Saturday the ITA guys were too strong for ITS. Chris Childs won the overall pole in an IT + T2, T3, EP, SS field. Two touring cars and an HP went by him, but Chris went flag to flag for the IT overall followed closely by Matt Downing, me (ITS), and Russell White (ITS).

Unfortunately, Chris broke his car in the process, and didn't run Sunday. Downing didn't have any serious ITA competition so after a bad start he let Russell and me go - me/White/Downing.

The weekend included the best side-by-side racing I've ever experienced, and some very touching acts of generosity. Well done, guys and gals.
    Last edited by Eagle7; 05-25-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Mixed up Sunday's results.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

Any ITB/ITC updates?
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gauper View Post
    Any ITB/ITC updates?
    Sorry, small fields and I don't think I know any of them.
    ITB - 1 Jeffrey Mattis, 2 Lenny Basaj both days
    ITC - Shawn Hobbs Saturday

I also screwed up the ITS/A results for Sunday. I'll edit it now.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

Were those ITA wins firsts for Chris and Matt? I think they may have been. Very nice.

How was the track? What kind of lap times was everyone running? I wished I was there this weekend more than once.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Were those ITA wins firsts for Chris and Matt? I think they may have been. Very nice.

How was the track? What kind of lap times was everyone running? I wished I was there this weekend more than once.
    Thanks for the congrats! I actually had my first SCCA win this last January in Sebring, but that was in DP against two other Neons. I was very suprised to have my first ever pole with only running a 1.32.3. Matt drove very well and if I had to try to hustle my car any more he would have won both days. Lucky for me he also had some mechanical issues on Saturday.

I thought that the track was better in the repaved/resealed parts. I really had to do some shock adjusting to get the car feeling better coming up the hill onto the front straight. My car was bouncing around more than I remember. Matt and I were both in the 32's on Saturday, not sure what he ran on Sunday. I am very Jealous of how you Honda drivers can get your cars to turn into the esses and the bowl. I have to drag the brake all through there and you guys just turn the wheel and the car goes.

It would have been nice to have your there Kevin, but then again Matt and I would have been fighting for P2
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    I was very suprised to have my first ever pole with only running a 1.32.3.

Matt and I were both in the 32's on Saturday, not sure what he ran on Sunday.
    That's not too bad at all. The fastest time I hit last year was a 1:31.8, so you guys were moving along. Nice work.

You and Matt not have anything serious go wrong? Easy fixes?
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

We missed you.
    I ran 0.6 off my time from last year. The resealed track didn't feel faster to me, but not sure I'd be able to tell. As Greg said earlier, the groove coming up the hill is gone, so I struggled all weekend finding my turn-in point. I don't think I ever nailed it the whole weekend. That alone could be the 0.6 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    I really had to do some shock adjusting to get the car feeling better coming up the hill onto the front straight. My car was bouncing around more than I remember.
    That section has always been very bumpy. Maybe you were running a slightly different line. A couple of feet can make a lot of difference there.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

That's not too bad at all. The fastest time I hit last year was a 1:31.8, so you guys were moving along. Nice work.

You and Matt not have anything serious go wrong? Easy fixes?
    Matt and I both had exhuast issues, however mine caused steering issues. My steering rack was cooked after the race on Sat.

Marty,

Something was different about the track I was getting airbourne and spinning wheels coming up onto the front straight. I also had it happen a few times cresting the rise in the track exiting the bowl.
    Last edited by Rabbit07; 05-26-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Sorry, small fields and I don't think I know any of them.
    ITB - 1 Jeffrey Mattis, 2 Lenny Basaj both days
    ITC - Shawn Hobbs Saturday

I also screwed up the ITS/A results for Sunday. I'll edit it now.
    Sorry guys, I haven't been keeping track of the boards much. I am at Grattan every year, since it's just over an hour from my house. Jeff and Eric Mattis are from the Traverse City area. They may be new to ITB, as they bought the Audi from a guy in Boulder, CO last fall.

Here is a link to the photos I took. Mostly open wheel and Corvettes as I was driving in group 6 and my wife is not good with a digicam.

Lenny
    Last edited by itb76; 05-26-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Hey Lenny... if you're hurting for ITB competition (saw your post over in the other thread) you could always consider coming over to Waterford for a weekend... always big ITB fields, often 10+ cars in B only, and always plenty of Mustangs to beat up on...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Vaughan, I may have to rig up a different exhaust system and try that. I've heard it's a really tight, narrow course, but I should try it before going by someone else's opinion. There used to be 5 - 6 events a year between Grattan and Gingerman; this year there are two so I have to expand my horizons.
    Lenny Basaj
    ITB #76
    Western Michigan Region

Yes, it is tight, narrow, and 100% technical... but if you can learn it, sure is fun! Cheap, too! Give a shout if you need advice getting a VW through sound - I'm sure we can get input on successful setups - and be sure to stop by if you do make it!

If nothing else, I know we'll have a good ITB field at Mid-O for the IT-Spec-tacular! Both me and my teammate are coming down from Waterford, and one of the faster Rustangs is threatening to join us... in addition to all the other guys... I know I have unfinished business with Gran!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Great weekend!! Had a blast with Chris on Sat.! Stupid exhaust cost me a shot at the win on the last lap. Very happy with the 1:32.4xx I ran - not too bad for me or the Civic!

1st win in ITA on Sunday for me. Been a LONG TIME since I got a win! Wished Chris was running, but I'll take it.
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)