Thread: Question for ECR Drivers

Default Question for ECR Drivers

ECR Drivers,

I'm getting ready to develop the schedule for our July 19-20 weekend at Road Atlanta and would like your input about qualifying format.

We will still be running the 90-minute ECR race in it's "normal" Sunday morning time slot, but we're playing with qualifying for the SARRC groups that weekend. Since people (drivers and workers both) have expressed an interest in actually racing rather than having multiple qualifying sessions, each SARRC run group we have a single 15-minute qualifying session to set the grid for an 8-lap (or 15-minute) "fun race" that follows. This second session is optional in that finishing order is NOT used to determine grid order for the 15-lap SARRC points race. The grid for the SARRC race will be set by the best lap turned in either of the two sessions, so you certainly have the option of skipping the "fun race" if you believe (a) the track will be slower (b) you're worried about wear and tear on the equipment and/or (c) you'd rather start drinking earlier than usual! Yes we're trying to provide something for everyone and may fail miserably, but you never know until you try!

So my question to you ECR drivers is this. To qualify for the ECR would you prefer:

a. a single 30-minute qualifying session
    b. two 15-minute qualifying sessions
    c. a single 15-minute qualifier then an 8-lap "fun race" (like the SARRC groups)

Let me know and I'll make it so...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

I like the single longer qualifying format. The 45 minute qualifying session this past weekend was perfect for us to switch drivers and both get some time in the car before the race. More sessions=more wait time for getting cars off and on the track.

The mini races sound fun too, but you're gonna be eating up some track time with the pace laps. I'll take more track time anyday personally.

The Atlanta Region is top notch, keeps to the schedule, and with such a great bunch of people we enjoy the trip to Road Atlanta every time. Thanks everyone!

Great job to all the other teams who made for a fun and safe ECR, and I belive we introduced the Drift crowd to some great racing - the stands were filling up every lap we made!

See you in July!
    Matt
    ITC #13 - 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback
    www.Douglas-Racing.com

I'd prefer two sessions. One long session doesn't work well for teams with two drivers. I'm not sure I see the point of the 'fun race' but if people like it I don't have a problem with it.

Grafton