Anyone use this resource before?

www.headerdesign.com

The primary size it recommeds for my car is AMAZINGLY small....1.25"
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

No fun for rotaries
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The results for a 1.6 VW motor look to be pretty similar to what Stahl sells for a header. I couldn't figure out what length to make the exhaust after the collector, did i just miss that in the calculator somewhere?

Jeff your motor is basically two banks of 1.8 liter 4 cylinder motors, right? With a fairly low peak HP RPM, and not really high peak HP number either, right? That size primary might sound about right. I think the vast majority of all commercial headers are probably way too big, the size is a marketing tool...
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Hey I just bought this software ($45) out of curiosity, anyone interested in sending me some info I can enter it and see what it comes with for header & exhaust design...

http://www.maxracesoftware.com/pipemax36xp2.htm
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

Evan, turn on your PMs and send me a note about what info you need... - GA

Ron and I have thought this for a while. "Old school" thinking was bigger is better. Now, smaller primaries is thought to increase exhaust gas velocity and therefore scavenging. I agree with you, smaller is probably better on a low rpm hp peak car.

I saw your pm. I'll get you the information I have here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by evanwebb View Post
    The results for a 1.6 VW motor look to be pretty similar to what Stahl sells for a header. I couldn't figure out what length to make the exhaust after the collector, did i just miss that in the calculator somewhere?

Jeff your motor is basically two banks of 1.8 liter 4 cylinder motors, right? With a fairly low peak HP RPM, and not really high peak HP number either, right? That size primary might sound about right. I think the vast majority of all commercial headers are probably way too big, the size is a marketing tool...
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Ron and I have thought this for a while. "Old school" thinking was bigger is better. Now, smaller primaries is thought to increase exhaust gas velocity and therefore scavenging. I agree with you, smaller is probably better on a low rpm hp peak car.
    Maybe old news, but here is a pretty good overview of header design theory: http://www.ssheaders.com/header.htm
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5