Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone cheat?

Default Does anyone cheat?

I am curious to see how many IT'ers out there are not completely playing by the rules. I figure the Miata guys are probally following the books pretty tightly. I would like to know what percentage of the NeDiv IT has squeezed some modifications onto their cars that may not pass tech. If so, what is the most popular cheat? A quick walk around A paddock at LRP would suggest iillegal gnition mods. Just curious, not pointing any fingers...Matt

Default IT cheaters

I sure hope no cars from the other regions come race with us with illegal modifications. You know who you are. If you narc on me, I will narc on you. Just Kidding, but seriously, the NeDiv is a gruop of gentlemen racers. Lets continue this tradition. P.S. I thought that car only had disc brakes up front.....Matt

Matt, spit it out - what are you trying to say? You've seen people cheating in the NE? You want them to stop? you want them to agree to let you and others "all cheat together"?

Yeah Matt, I'm curious what you're getting and don't understand the post. When talking about gentleman racers, typically that means people will let items slide. Especially as someone gets closer to the front, people will not look the other way. Don't have a working horn or washer bottle, no, I won't file an official protest. Something else? Don't look shocked when getting a call from the stewards. If someone wants rules to be changed, send a request to the ITAC.

On the other side if you know someone has illegal parts, it's our responsibility to self-police our fields. Talk to the driver about the parts (maybe they have no clue, which doesn't mean it's right), and/or file a protest.

All this is said as one of many NER ITB drivers who work very hard at becoming a good driver, and building a fast and legal racecar.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

The only thing that I know of on the Golf that's currently not legal (and it may be solved by now) is that we don't have the timing belt pulley guards on it. There are a couple of close-call items: The door wiring harnesses aren't installed correctly (they're stuffed in the rear quarter panels); and the front track on one side is too close for comfort to being too wide with the current spacers (blame the most recent fender replacement and not double checking until after Andy pointed out that Beran had questioned it at the ARRC).

I'm picky about this stuff, since I've historically been pretty vocal about cheating and rules creep so I know I'm a high profile target. If you see something wrong with my car, I'd really appreciate you saying something so it can be fixed.

Do other people cheat? Yeah, I have no question. I think gear ratios are a common cheat in VWs. There are just too many of them, it's too easy to do, it makes a big difference, and it's expensive to call someone on it.

K

I guess the turbine is probably pushing the limit of the rules.

My car is actually a 3/4 replica of a TR8. Crash repairs, ya know?

I installed a big 48" sucker fan in the floorboard of the car for downforce. I mean driver comfort.

Is my trunk monkey legal? It doesn't say you can, but then again, it says nothing about mammals in the car and we do allow a driver.

Speed Racer had oil slicks. So do I. I just don't have steering wheel control over them. THey do it on their own. Legal?

I may install a navigation system. Thoughts?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Hasn't anyone told you yet - EVERYONE in IT cheats!!!
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Hasn't anyone told you yet - EVERYONE in IT cheats!!!
    He's kidding.

But..that said, there certainly are cheaters out there, and it doesn't take too long to find them. heck, I've heard that certain areas have agreements to allow certain things.

I'm with Kirk and Dave..you see something on my car, let me know. I'm not looking to take even a 10th place finish if it's not legit.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I'm with Kirk and Dave..you see something on my car, let me know. I'm not looking to take even a 10th place finish if it's not legit.
    11th or greater is okay isn't it? I cheat like a mo fo and figured as long as I wasn't in the top 10 it was cool.

Not okay but there's less motivation to protest someone. The process isn't quick and easy in the majority of cases, is stressful probably even more so on the protestor's side, and often isn't thought of (key word, though versus truly isn't) worth it in many circumstances.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I'm just kidding of course.

So Matt, what is the reason for the post? See something illegal in the paddock you want to call out?

Quote Originally Posted by 73itb View Post
    I am curious to see how many IT'ers out there are not completely playing by the rules. I figure the Miata guys are probally following the books pretty tightly. I would like to know what percentage of the NeDiv IT has squeezed some modifications onto their cars that may not pass tech. If so, what is the most popular cheat? A quick walk around A paddock at LRP would suggest iillegal gnition mods. Just curious, not pointing any fingers...Matt
    Matt, just walk around and see how many cars have short shifters, not a big deal. Don't worry about cheaters just be a better person and don't cheat yourself. Get good at driving and beat the cheaters by your skill.

The guys who've beaten me on track are all cheating

Matt,

Be carefull about generalizations, you are going to offend people. Feel free to come right out and tell us what the real issue is.............
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' MacLean View Post
    You too????? That is exactly what is happening down here in the Southeast!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' MacLean View Post
    Exactly - that why I said everyone is cheating
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Dude, you are cheating! You have a truck motor in that car!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Dude, you are cheating! You have a truck motor in that car!
    So do you. Cheater!

Mine is a high performance, F1 winning design. Back off dude! That thing the size of a house in your car has got to have way too many gerbils in it.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Flyin,
    We weren't cheating in that 1.6 were we? It was so fast I felt like it!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"