Thread: Racing Beat Header Heat Shield for 2nd Gen

Default Racing Beat Header Heat Shield for 2nd Gen

Does anyone know where I could purchase a heat shield for my Racing Beat header? I see that ISC sells one for their header, but does not fit Racing Beat headers. Has anyone fabricated one? If so, how difficult?

thanks
    Last edited by waynehussey; 05-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region
    http://prostuning-net.webs.com/

I made my own out of aluminum, fairly easy to do. It's a piece of aluminum sheet with a bend and some aluminum 1" x 1/4" strip attached to the sheet with rivets and then it bolts to the holes where the 5/6th actuators were. Sorry it won't be until Monday that I can take some pics though.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Thanks Mark. Monday is fine. If anyone else has a pic of thier heat shield that I could use as a template this weekend, please post.

thanks
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region

Quote Originally Posted by mbuskuhl View Post
    I made my own out of aluminum, fairly easy to do. It's a piece of aluminum sheet with a bend and some aluminum 1" x 1/4" strip attached to the sheet with rivets and then it bolts to the holes where the 5/6th actuators were. Sorry it won't be until Monday that I can take some pics though.
    +1 except I do not know what 5/6th actuators are or where they bolted to but I just bolted up to the two cast bosses on the intake manifold. Piece of cake.
    Tom Sprecher

ISC hasn't had any inventory in a while for their heatshield, so I plan to make one of my own as well.

I'm not sold on the legality of the design anyway, as it bolts to the intake manifold which I find suspect. I figure I'll use a heavier gauge aluminum so that it can support itself, or support it in another manner that is less ambiguous.

I may even sandwich some insulation material between two pieces of aluminum for additional protection.

I'm sure that a Racing Beat version should be easy enough as well.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

To be legal it has to bolt or connect to the "free exhaust" and not the intake. Take 1/8 inch thich aluminum and bend down two ears to connect to the top header studs. Cover it with thermo tec or other heat resistant material and call it a day. Might need a gusset in the front. Good luck!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Forget my design then, I wasn't thinking about the IT rules since I made the heat shield after I ditched my ITS platform. I had thought about the top 2 header bolts but it was 10x easier attaching it the lower intake manifold.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Thanks guys!!!

Tom and Steve - if you dont mind, could you guys please send me a pic or post a pic of your heat shield that i could use as a templete.

thanks
    Last edited by waynehussey; 05-03-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region