Thread: See Ya', Jeremy...

Unhappy See Ya', Jeremy...

For Immediate Release

Thoennes Named SCCA Pro Racing Technical Manager

TOPEKA, Kan. (May 23, 2008) - SCCA Pro Racing announced today that Jeremy Thoennes will join its staff as Technical Manager. Thoennes will focus on the SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championships.

Thoennes joins the SCCA Pro Racing staff after serving as Club Racing Technical Services Manager for Sports Car Club of America, Inc. since 2002.

"Not only does Jeremy have a wealth of technical and motorsports knowledge, he has a great skill set and instinct to bring to SCCA Pro Racing," SCCA Pro Racing Competition and Technical Director Ken Tripkos said. "He is a perfect fit for our team as SPEED World Challenge progresses into the future."

A graduate of Minnesota State University (Mankato, Minn.), Thoennes has been in motorsports his entire professional career, serving as car chief, crew chief, engine builder and fabricator for several racing teams in both oval and road racing. His first experience on the race organization side came with a two-year stint at SCCA Enterprises as Assistant Technical Director. Thoennes becomes the first staff member to work for all three entities of SCCA-the parent company, SCCA, Inc., and its two subsidiaries-SCCA Pro Racing and SCCA Enterprises.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for me to put all of my past experience to work for the best production-based professional racing series in North America," Thoennes said. "I've enjoyed my time on the Club Racing side, but it was time for a change and I'm excited to get started."

Thoennes will not have to move far to occupy his new post-down the hall to the Pro Racing wing in the Topeka, Kan.-based SCCA headquarters. He, his wife Aimee and their family live in Burlingame, Kan.

Thoennes will officially start June 2. His first race will be the June 6-8 SCCA SPEED World Challenge event at Watkins Glen International.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Been nothing but polite and responsive in all my dealings with him. Wish him the best with his new job.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Jeremy is great. This is a big loss for club racing, a big gain for pro racing.

The amount of work one guy was asked to do for this club is just flat out crazy. I don't know how he will be replaced.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    The amount of work one guy was asked to do for this club is just flat out crazy. I don't know how he will be replaced.
    I don't think I'll be sending a resume', not that I think for a minute that I could do as well as he has done.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Quote Originally Posted by x-ring View Post
    I don't think I'll be sending a resume', not that I think for a minute that I could do as well as he has done.
    actually, when i thought to myself "who in the world might be capable of replaceing Jeremy?"

Ty Till was the first and only name i thought of. :eek:
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

HA. I am WAY to likely to say whatever pops into my head. One trait of an engineer I suppose; and I've never been one to suffer fools in silence. But thanks, Travis, for the kind words.

That job requires some careful tightrope walking to insure that what's done is done right, and not to offend someone's delicate sensibilities lest they do 'something wrong' just out of spite.

Jeremy has a rare combination of technical ability, total lack of arrogance, patience, and political savvy to run that department. I wish Terry O. the best of luck in finding a suitable successor.

Besides, I don’t think I could deal with Kansas in July. Heat AND humidity? I probably melt (like the wicked witch of the west?). LOL
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion