Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Weekend at CMP?

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    It looks like you needed some more heat in those tires! What kind of rubber did you have under you?
    Steve,

.... Good video.

.... My error was linked to the race I ran right before I got in the BMW. The braking zone for the Miata was just about right where I did the braking in your video in the Z3. Which was about 20' to late....:eek:

.... I had a great race in Spec Miata..... and was really pumped when I jumped in the BMW.... I just had a flash of the red haze and wanted to get that blue Miata..:cool:

.... As for the Rubber I had under me, I was trying some Hankook tires that came with a set of wheels I bought from a guy that was running an E36 in NASA. I haven't had a chance to check the wear on them, but the grip was pretty consistent for the entire run. Even with a flat spotted left front..

.... Rickey T.
    Last edited by Hotshoe; 05-26-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cq7F93IdNw

It looks like you needed some more heat in those tires! What kind of rubber did you have under you?

That Z car sounds MEAN !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan88 View Post
    That Z car sounds MEAN !!!!!!
    Also sounds like 8k on the downshifts! Steve is fast though so I guess it works.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Also sounds like 8k on the downshifts! Steve is fast though so I guess it works.
    Who needs brakes when you have an expensive race motor to slow you down?

I think I did hit about 7300 on a few of them. I have to stop doing that! It's my worst habit as a driver. On the upshifts I shift at 7000 or less.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Nice Video Steve. Obviously you are at the pointy end of the field. OK, somebody fill us slackers in. Who did what? Did SteveP put down another hot lap? Did JeffY get to the front? and what about Ron, did he cure his miss?
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post
    Nice Video Steve. Obviously you are at the pointy end of the field. OK, somebody fill us slackers in. Who did what? Did SteveP put down another hot lap? Did JeffY get to the front? and what about Ron, did he cure his miss?
    OK... I'll do my best.. I stayed VERY busy fixing damage and brakes so my memory might be fuzzy.

Saturdays qualifying order was Rickey T in the ITR bimmer with the overall pole. I was first in ITS, just nipping Mike VanSteenburg by 1 tenth (1:47.5 ish). Then it was Kent T, the #77 ITR 325is, Jeff Y, Jeff McCandless, and Earp. There were 13 S cars in total. At the start of the race I tucked in behind Rickey and Mike must have tied a rope to my back bumper because he stayed about 6 inches off of it for the first 6 or 7 laps. He was just sitting there waiting on the Z brakes to fade. And fade they did! I can make the car go fast for a lap or two but repeating that for 14 laps is just asking too much of the Z. Mike started to leave me behind and Kent started to reappear in my mirror. He caught me on the front staight and in the so called braking zone mine went to the floor. I went as deep into the sand trap as anyone has ever been. Grabbed a gear and reentered before turn 3. I limped around the last 2 laps with NO brakes to finish 3rd. As I understand it, Jeff M got by both Earp and Jeff Y on the last lap for 4th. The rest is kind of blurred in my mind.

After working on the brakes till midnight, I started Sunday with everything brand new. As you can see on the video, It was MVS with the overall pole with a blistering lap of 1:46.5 ish. Then Rickey, me, Jeff M, Matt Moorefield 77 ITR, Jeff Y, Earp. After Rickey settled down on lap 2 he chased down MVS for the lead. I ran alone in second in ITS and was watching Jeff Y in my mirror. Apparantly Jeff M had an off. I don't recall what happened but Jeff Y disappeared near the end. I think Jeff M finished 3rd.

As for the ECR, it is a very short story for us. The brakes blew out about 20 minutes in with Bryan driving. It's time to upgrade the brakes again!

Overall it was a great weekend. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks for the other classes. We were too busy to have a chance to watch any of the other race action.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

That's about it. I started 4th Saturday, and destroyed a wheel hub about 5 laps in. Had nothing for Kent, Mike VS or Steve.

Kent's car apparently got torn up in the CCPS fracas later that day, he didn't run on Sunday.

Sunday, qual in ITS was Mike vS, Steve, Jeff M, me, Ron. Ron did cure the miss. Oil level in carburetors seemed to be the issue.

On the start I got around Jeff M. and ran 3rd until the last lap. Brake, handling and driver fade on my part, plus a great drive by Ron adn Jeff M. and they caught me and passed me with one to go. So, finish was Mike VS, Steve, Jeff M., Ron, me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Default What A Great Weekend!

To CCR and Steve, thanks for putting on a great weekend. You guys managed to cram 10# into a 5# bag so congrats on that. The Yuengling at the social was nice.

Ricky, you're welcome and thank you for showing me what I need to do. That 2 seconds I found immediately was all because of you, bud. Now, if I could come up the other 4 I need...

It was great to be able to put faces to names for Jeff, Ron and Kirk. I just wish there was more time to BS with you guys. Maybe next time.

I never drove the old layout but I sure like the new one. If I could just figure out 4 & 5 I'm sure time could be picked up there.
    Tom Sprecher

Thumbs up

You guys have already summed it up, not much I can add. Fantastic driving there from Steve, Mike VS, Rickey, Jeff M, and Jeff Young. Good stuff, I got to watch most of it from my view:

Part One
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IyVUqY7l4

Part Two
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gt4ka-wDwY

Part Three
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqX0WZJP18

I enjoyed the race back there with Jeff M (he wouldn't have been there had he not had a couple of little offs, nice driving Jeff and I really enjoyed dicing it up) and Jeff Young, lots of fun. First time I've ever really been racing with some S cars so I was pleased. Bear in mind when you see some bad lines hugging some corners in those vids they are for a purpose (and partly because I don't know what I'm doing) - Mr. Jeff M. is on me and I'm trying to keep him away! Alas, I was not successful but enjoyed the drive!

Good weekend, nice job CCR!

Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-27-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Yep, it was a "fun" weekend, terrific weather for sure. Wow, you ITS guys have sure raised the bar on power and performance. After I figured out on Saturday the "problem" I've had for a couple of years now regarding fueling Sunday my car ran perfectly.

Unfortunately, what it has to give is apparently WAY off the current ITS pace. Bummer, I was so looking forward to mixing it up with some of you. Obviously, not MVS or Parrish!

Guess 2006 ARRC tires just won't cut it at CMP, there goes the CC balance again. Sunday I just could not reach the same pace as Saturday nor the pace from February. Any others of you think the track seemed more "slippery" Sunday??

I had a good tussle with a couple of IT7 cars, jeez when did they get sooo fast? Looking forward to Barber hope to have new tires and be able to focus on driving and performance rather than body work.

Apparently Pedigree shows when the green flag drops congrats to you all.

Later

Travers
    ITS 19

Glad to hear everyone had an enjoyable weekend. As race chair that was the main goal. Myself and CCR appreciate the support you have shown for our race weekends and will try to do the best we can in the future. I did learn that race chair and crew chief do not mix. Let my wife Vicki run all weekend with swaybar unhooked. Some idiot forgot to hook it up after the rain session. She kept telling me it was loose and I chalked it up to tires. Anyone have a room for a homeless crew chief.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
    Yep, it was a "fun" weekend, terrific weather for sure. Wow, you ITS guys have sure raised the bar on power and performance. After I figured out on Saturday the "problem" I've had for a couple of years now regarding fueling Sunday my car ran perfectly.

Travers
    ITS 19
    Hey Travers,

I enjoyed meeting with you and you've been faster than me at CMP before as I remember. Good to race with you as with everyone else I ran with, I always feel "safe" with this group around.

I don't know about the others but I have gained a bit of power since my last two outings. I will post some dyno plots down in the Nissan section, but my peak hp is about 165-168 rear wheel hp, still a bit aways from the top ITS cars but up from my 155 level I ran with earlier in the year. I also finally cured my missing/hesitation issue that has plagued me since CMP in Feb. Car is faster when it pulls to redline without coughing and sputtering all the way.

I thought the track was a bit greasy and CMP seems to get that way from all reports. I think it'd be interesting to really find out if a track gets "greasy" by doing and independent measurement of coefficient of friction at various points on the track, but seat of the pants says something is greasy - the track or the tires, either way the effect is the same - not so much grip!

Good weekend.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
    I had a good tussle with a couple of IT7 cars, jeez when did they get sooo fast?
    Travers, when I came over and said we traded paint I think I was wrong. You were too fast according to the results sheet of the Sat race. I think it was another white 2nd gen driven by Kathleen Weddington. No matter what I tried I could not get around her.

I have a video of my race which I have named "The Battle For Not Last Place" and will post it if I can figure out how.
    Tom Sprecher

Tom, good to meet you as well.

Butch, good to meet you and your g-hound.

See you guys soon I hope.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

This is the first time I have seen that track... Great run, it looked like a true blast!!!
    Paul Goyette
    Brumos Porsche
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    lildebbieracing.com

I didn't have much time to socialize either, but I enjoyed putting faces with some of the names (and thoughts) I see here on the forum. Maybe next time I can meet some more of y'all.

I wondered if Rick would have to pull in early from Sunday's Group 4 SM race (thus not having to go to Impound) in order to make it to the ITR Bimmer that was waiting on the grid for the Group 5 race. Obviously he made it okay with the minor braking point adjustment on lap 1 being the only fly in the ointment. :eek:

I don't think the new configuration created another passing zone, but it's more fun and a bit easier on brakes than the old layout. Great job by CCR under trying circumstances, and my rear bumper appreciates Steve Eckerich's promise to move the green flag to Turn 9 next year (which is how SCR does it). And I FULLY appreciate the effort to be both organizer and participant on the same weekend!

Looking forward to the Double SARRC (and night ECR) at Nashville in June, then Road Atlanta in July and the Double at Barber Labor Day weekend. That should put us in good shape for the SIC in September before finishing up with the ARRC by GRM Nov. 7-9.

See ya...

BTW - rwhp on a GTA car is 380-410, and the cars are no more expensive to race than an IT car. (Can you say "$600 for a set of tires?")
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Thanks for catching me up. I really missed not being there but sometimes work gets in the way. I look forward to seeing everybody at NSS and Barber.

Ron, glad to hear your stumble went away. I am still working on mine but hope to have it fixed by NSS. My normal traveling buddies were both at CMP with their DSR's. No major problems for them and they too had a good time.

Tom, hope to see you at Nashville.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

We enjoyed racing with those of you that ran the ECR or CCPS.
    If we get some better tires we'll try to mix it up with you SARRC racers again
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

Steve Rose, turn on your phone or sent me your email if you want the video.
    Tom Sprecher

Question

Any chance of this weekends CMP data getting up on MyLaps?