Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IT Fuel Cell Requirements?

Hey Bill,

I'm interested in the cell if the original poster doesn't jump on it.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

Here is your clarification from the GCR 9.3.26 this is section 4.
    4. Rotary Molded Cell
    The use of rotary molded fuel cells not having a bladder, or not contained in a metal can, is allowable in those cars that do not require the use of a fuel cell, but where they are an allowed option.

Fuel cells were an option in IT last time I read the rules. This should clear up the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by chewy8000 View Post
    Hey Bill,

I'm interested in the cell if the original poster doesn't jump on it.
    It's a 12 gallon cell, I paid about $550 for the cell and then had to pay 100 or 150 to have the serge tank installed plus shipping.
    It was over $700, I think closer to $800 and has never been installed.

I'll take $600
    Bill Johnson

Bill,

email me some pics at [email protected]

Thanks
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

The cell is in my buddy's shop about 1hr from me in Youngstown Ohio.
    I assure you it is new.
    Bill Johnson

Thanks for all the posts everyone. Looks like I need to ask my local officials about how they read this rule. In the mean time I'm going to buy a new aftermarket tank to see if I can sort the car out before dropping the cash on a cell.

Is that new fuel cell still available or did it sell to the other guy?

Thanks,
    Tony
    '83 GTI ITB

Tony, what is the problem with the original tank? I have seen pickup problems on the 83 and 84 tanks. Something comes apart in the pickup arrangement. This can be solved using an OE vw fuel resevoir that came on the 85 cabrio and foxes. Someone had a drawing on the Production website of what I am talking about. The return from the fuel injection is plumbed into this resevoir along with an external prepump. I can look the OE number up for you if you are interested. Email me nospam at bocafed dot org.

Yes, it was an OEM tank and it had the Audi symbol on the side of it. The tank was newer and I think 3-4 years sitting empty rotted out the rubber in the bottom and the pick-up was bad. I knew there was a problem when I was draining it and the baffle was covered in fuel but nothing was coming out!

Anyway, I took a chance with an aftermarket Autozone fuel tank and it worked perfect on my shakedown run with 4 gallons. I did some high speed figure-8's in my parking lot at work (Saturday of course) and the final test will be at a nightly open track event either this Thursday or next week Wednesday.

I'll post back the results but the car is night and day different from where it was. I'll email you for those directions on changing the tank pick-up. I don't think it's a tech. item.
    '83 GTI ITB

Here is one thread from the prod site. http://prodracing.com/prodcar/viewtopic.php?t=7460

Thumbs up fixed it

My $145 Autozone gas tank did the trick. My shake down run at Gingerman Raceway went well.
    I can run it down to about 1.5 - 2 gallons before it will stall under hard turns (with race tires). I think that is good considering the money I spent.
    '83 GTI ITB

Default Use a cell

This is a non-rule that should be a personal rule. Use a cell. Easiest way to prevent a catastrophic fire. Saves you, saves your car, saves your competitors. A gutted car that you escaped unharmed from is WAY more expensive than a fuel cell. Rubber bladder in a steel can only. Main thing to think about is how does a factory tank respond upside-down when it's hardest to get out of the car? I personally am skipping buying front struts and new tires this year to upgrade safety equipment.

I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.
    Agreed. And for well more than a decade these systems have been totally sealed, they won't leak in a rollover, and they won't get punctured in 99% of crashes. They are less likely to leak than any backyard engineering would be.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Default ....

.....I understand, but how many improved touring cars are from the last decade? My car is a 1980 rabbit, hardly new technology. Also, with a factory tank are you using the origional fill neck? Just can't see a reason to not spend less than a set of tires for something so important, move the tank to a protected area and make sure the hold-down and plumbing are right.

Dammit! We *almost* made it two years before yet another newbie bumped up this thread/idea/topic again.

SO CLOSE!!!! So, so close...sigh...

LOL...

Having now to deal with a cell for my DSR, I'm glad to have never gone there with the IT car... massive extra cost etc... they all have to be SFI or FIA now, right?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    LOL...

Having now to deal with a cell for my DSR, I'm glad to have never gone there with the IT car... massive extra cost etc...
    We are building a enduro specific IT car. I STILL wish I hadn't gone there in IT.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    ...they all have to be SFI or FIA now, right?
    Reeeead the topic, Luke....

Default newbie?

I might be new to the board but I've raced professionaly for 20 years. I've seen 2 drivers I new personnaly die and could only stand going to one funeral. I've also seen a fuel cell go bouncing down the race track at least once a seson for 20 years after a car got ripped apart on impact, so excuse me if I'm not thrilled about hitting some guy's 179$ factury fuel can when it flies out of his car. The scariest thing in motorsports is to see a car on fire with someone you know in it that can't get out. So how bout you give a "newbie" a break and allow me to remind everyone about the worst day in motorsports that is easily avoidable by a PROPER FUEL CELL WITH A RUBBER BLADDER!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    ...excuse me if I'm not thrilled about hitting some guy's 179$ factury fuel can when it flies out of his car.
    Problem is, Jonathan, fuel cells are not required in Improved Touring. In fact, in many cases fuel cells are not required in Production racing, either. And, of course, they're not required in Showroom Stock or Touring, either.

Given that this particular (ongoing, constantly argued, never-resolved) topic is not about whether to run fuel cells but what fuels cells to run if you choose to, your energies toward your stated goal(s) are much better spent not here on the board but rather by campaigning the CRB/BoD to require fuel cells in all car classes. I'd suggest, however, that those effort would be in vain (especially given the requirements for fuel cells in some Production cars was only recently approved...)

GA